.28.

Chapter-28
Painful revelations.

"By keeping me in dark, what did you both gain? I know that I'm dying and it's worthless to share with me anymore but atleast you could've told me, considering it was my father who was killed."
Anjali said with tears in her eyes, accusing both the women whom she loved dearly.

"I'm sorry Anju." Anuradha came forward but Anjali raised her hand.
"Don't. I want to know the truth. Why did you send him away? Why did you call him back now? What's happening?" She directed her questions to both Anuradha and Ranjani who were sitting on the couch. Rahul was standing at a distance.

Abhimanyu and Vrinda were leaning on the opposite pillars. Akshaya, Anant and Riya were near the beginning of the stairs. Aarna too listened gaugily though she didn't care about the details.

"When I was conceived with Rahul, Randeep said that he had an important mission in the army. I begged him to stay but he had got the order letter. So he left. After 5 months, I got the news that he was no more. I was shattered but I knew, Rahul needed me so I stayed strong for him." Ranjani said.

"After 11 years, I saw him again. In these tea estates. He was lurking like a thief. Then series of children got overdosed because of drugs. They were supplying through tea packets, that were given in schools for just tasting purpose and for reviewing the product. Aravind bhai found out this because he was also a teacher in Ooty convent."

"I followed him, with Aravind bhai one day and found out that he was the one who was doing all these illegal activities. I clicked few photos and filed a case against him. Court gave him a life imprisonment judgement." She wiped her tears.

"But he escaped." Anjali looked at her carefully. She knew where it was going.
"He confronted me and Aravind bhai to remove all the cases on him and set him free. We did not agree, obviously. That day, he brutally killed him." She closed her eyes while Anjali sat down with a thud. Her face was void of any emotions. Rahul carefully sat beside her and took her hand in his.

"I didn't give up. For 4 years he was silent. Right before Rahul's 16th birthday, I got a video tape that was of him and you smiling and roaming around. Few goons were after you both with knives. They also sent Anu tapes of Riya. We decided it was best for you both to leave Ooty. Because his target was Rahul and Riya." Ranjani met her son's eyes.

"I didn't agree in the first but Anu convinced me. Then, I called one of my friend, who was a police and informed about Randeep. He produced all these evidences to the commissioner. Therefore, Randeep was transferred to Gujarat jail. 8 years have passed and now he has been released." She finished.

"Atleast you could have told us." Anjali still bluntly replied.
"We couldn't Anju. You were all kids. And he was a monster. We couldn't risk your lives." Anuradha stormed.
"So you decided to rule our lives like nothing for 8 damn years? Without our consent!" She replied back.

"Anjali!" Ranjani sternly shouted. It was the first time she took her full name and scolded.
"Fine. I won't ask anything. Now I need to know. Ranjani Maa, why did you call him back? Because I was dying?" She hiccuped as tears began to flow mercilessly.
"Yes! You missed all of your life because of my husband and I wanted to give you some happiness. Is that too selfish Anjali?" She stormed.

"Maa." Rahul said.
"Don't argue Rahul. Look at us. We're just puppets in their hands." Anjali chuckled and sat down.
"Anju, when have we ever denied anything? It was for your safety. We couldn't lose you by telling the truth." Ranjani tried to convince her.
"But you lost me anyways." She said monotonously.