.20.

Chapter-20
His redemption.

"He's gone somewhere! Where? And that too in this weather?" The shrill in Anjali's voice made Riya close her eyes tightly.
"Di, he didn't tell anyone. After I got up, I received a call from Maa that he went for a short trip. I don't know where. She wouldn't tell me." The girl sighed.

And now Anjali understood why he had looked at her so intently. He wanted to inform her but he couldn't worry her more. The thought itself sent jitters through her body. He had actually cared for her. But his secretive nature immediately irked her. What if he was also in trouble? Why couldn't he just share!

To add on that, the February weather in Ooty had worsened. Chilled wind, unpredictable rain, landslides. The weather forcasters on TV had warned not to carry on any long journeys. And he had to go now.

"Just, call him later okay. And ask him to be careful." She said to Riya who nodded immediately. Tightly cladding the shawl around her upper body, she left the house and walked along the long length of Vrindavan colony.

"Anjali!" The voice of a woman made her head turn towards the direction. She noticed Bhargavi standing in the verandah with a plump kid in her hands who was uncontrollably crying.
"Namaste aunty. Why's he crying!" She asked startled.

"He's defenitely missing his mother. I video called Girija but she couldn't spend more time as it is her office timings." The lady said sadly.
"Let me." Anjali smiled and took the boy in her arms.
"Hey Vrishank." She cooed and gently swayed him.

The kid stopped crying and stared at the girl amazingly. And then, realising who she was, he giggled and clasped her shawl in his tiny little arm. He looked at her, with wide eyes and an affectionate smile. Anjali melted under the kid's gaze.

"He stopped crying! Thank heavens. Come in beta." Mrs.Kannan gladly welcomed the girl and haughtily strode in.
"When's Ravi bhaiyya coming back aunty?" She asked as she settled on the couch with the baby.
"He said there's an impending project. Maybe after a month, both my kids will arrive." The old lady cheerfully added and brought a cup of tea.

"Oh no aunty. I had a tummy full breakfast." Anjali said hastily.
"Anju, you visiting my house and not having anything, will never happen." Bhargavi said and Anjali giggled. As Vrishank had slept soundly on her shoulder, she placed him safely on the couch and adjusted few pillows. Then bending over, she took the tea.

"So, how's your treatment going on?" Bhargavi asked.
"It's fine aunty. You know, it's of no use. I don't know why Ranjani Maa takes so much tension." She said looking down.
"No Anjali! You shouldn't say that. She's trying her best and you shouldn't loose hope too." Bhargavi mulled.

"I'm envious of her because she's handling so much alone! Firstly your diagnosis, then her-" The elderly lady stopped talking abruptly. Realising what she was about to blurt, she awkwardly coughed twice and Anjali immediately handed her a glass full of water.

"Are you alright aunty?" She gently asked.
"Yes beta." Bhargavi patted her head and smiled.

After a heartfelt chatter for few more minutes, Anjali left the house with a content heart. Playing with the kid, had refreshed her head. The fact that it was her father's birthday the day after tomorrow, had also disturbed her. But the baby had taken away all the stress.