Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Sitting before me, was the Duke. Unprecedented seriousness was written all over his face. 

I lowered my head and lightly ascent the hem of my dress to give formality to the Duke.

"I greet the Duke of Adrika Dutchy,  may the sun's blessing befall upon you"

Doing this hurts my ego but I don't care about jackshjt right now. I'm far too weak to oppose the Duke.

He gestured me to lift my head up, so I did.

Without batting an eye, the Duke straightforwardly asked me in an imposing demeanor and powerful tone.

"Why did you do it?"

He tried to intimidate me but to his dismay, I calmly stood on my ground quietly, whilst still lowering my gaze.

Instead of asking 'are the rumors true? Did you do something to Adrian?' the Duke, who reached into his own conclusion, accused me immediately as if I'm the criminal who did it.

It is true that I did it, but what happened was merely a self-defense no matter the results may be. It was Adrian who attacked me first.

Rather than that, what surprised me is the fact that I'm not even sad or upset by that kind of treatment.

Endless hopelessness that I've experienced before, and the fact that no one in this house was ever on my side, my expectations gradually faded and petty emotions that would only be a hindrance to me became numb.

It was all empty.

Enthusiastic emotions from before transformed into emptiness that a trivial cold treatment like this was merely a child's play in my eyes.

Whatever I feel may be, I acted calmly and lowered my head as to court their 'sympathy'.

Dominance over the weak, that idealism is what the Duke firmly believes. So I lowered my gaze as much as I can for all I want to alleviate his suspicion of me. I don't care. As long as the Duke lowers his guard, it will create a hole in his armor. If that happens, i can freely manipulate and deceive him at will.

"I do not know what may you be pertaining about, father. May I know what this lowly self did that made you angry?"

"Hah.. about Adrian. I heard that you were the reason why that child went missing"

Duke Helarion massage his temple. Emptiness was enveloping his profound eyes, I wasn't sure whether he is feeling sad or angry but he looked like he lost a valuable tool in his possession.

"F-father..are you accusing me? I am aware of the rumors that was circulating around the mansion but, do you believe the words created by low lives instead of me, your daughter? Aren't I in a seclusion by the Duke's orders? How could I dare disobey father? I believe i do not have the means to go out of the mansion, our skilled knights are also guarding the gates"

" Besides, how could you say that I did something to brother Adrian when he did nothing wrong to me in any way, right? Father..?"

Skillfully playing with my words, I cunningly convinced the Duke. Crocodile tears were flowing from my puppy-like eyes that seems to be drowning in sadness and disheartenment.

He had no choice but to be convinced. At the end of the day, all of it was merely speculations. What can he do when he doesn't even have an ounce of evidence?

Besides, he cannot argue with me with the matter. If he firmly said that i have connection about what happened, he had to state his reason. And if he said it was because of the bombing that happened in my room yesterday and what I did is because of revenge, the Duke had to admit that it was Adrian who did it.