chapter 9

Thursday, 2nd January 1975, 10:45 – Platform 9¾ was as hectic as usual. Regulus had just walked through the magical barrier and was standing by the wall with his parents were just behind him; Walburga had a bony hand resting on his shoulder, long nails digging into his skin. Kreacher trailed behind, carrying Regulus' trunk on her orders.

Over the crowd, Regulus spotted his brother, who was on the other side of the platform standing with James Potter and his parents. The two of them were chattering excitably and glancing around, presumably in search of their other two friends, when Potter caught his eye and waved.

Regulus scowled at him in response and turned to his parents, subtly twitching his arm away from his mother's grasp.

"The train is leaving soon," he said. "I should board."

"Yes, you should," Orion said gruffly. "Remember what is expected of you, boy. Excel, keep to your own, uphold the prestige of this family."

"Yes, father. I will."

Regulus received these instructions in one way or another almost every time they parted. Walburga stepped forward and put an icy hand on his cheek.

"Goodbye, Regulus," she purred, and kissed his forehead. "Toujours pur."

The family motto. 'Always pure'.

"Goodbye, mother," he said stiffly.

Taking his trunk from Kreacher with a quick nod of thanks, he hastily left his parents on the platform and boarded the Hogwarts Express.

James POV

10:52 – "Fleamont, look." Euphemia pointed over to near the entrance to the platform, where Mr. and Mrs. Black were watching Regulus step onto the train. "Let's go and talk to Sirius' parents about Easter, shall we?"

"Good idea, love," Fleamont said. "I was going to send a letter, but this is much easier. Come on, lads."

Sirius visibly tensed.

"We can stay over here, if you want," James muttered, but Sirius shook his head.

"I'm fine," he said firmly. "Can't avoid them forever."

But as the four of them approached, Sirius fixed his gaze determinedly on the floor, and James noticed his hands begin to shake.

"Good morning, Walburga. Orion," Euphemia said pleasantly. "It was very kind of you to let Sirius stay with us again. The boys had a wonderful time."

Sirius' parents remained in stony silence, regarding her with obvious disdain. James gritted his teeth.

"We've offered for him to spend this Easter with us too," she continued, trying to ignore their blatant animosity. "But we wanted to check with you first, of course."

"Sirius will come home at Easter," Mrs. Black snapped suddenly. "He has spent quite enough time with your sort."

Euphemia looked startled, and Fleamont put a protective arm around her.

"Walburga, I really don't think that's—"

"—Sirius, you are heir to the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black," Mr. Black interrupted, completely ignoring James and his parents. "You will act as such. It is time you stop consorting with blood traitors and learn your place."

Sirius raised his head at that, face contorted with anger.

"Don't you call them blood traitors!" he said fiercely, though his voice was trembling violently. "They're not... You can't—"

"How dare you address your father in that manner!" Mrs. Black spat.

She took a step towards Sirius, pointing a pale finger right in his face. When she spoke again, her voice was low and dangerous.