{𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄}the prison

𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐋 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 a prison. All the group had to do was kill all the walkers. Once the group was inside of the fence, Glenn tied the hole they came through back up. The group then sprinted down the gravel path as walkers rattled the fence wanting their next meal.

"It's perfect." Rick said as the group finally stopped running. "If we can shut the gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off those walkers. We'll take the field by tonight."

"So, how do we shut the gate?" Hershel questioned.

"I'll do it." Glenn volunteered. He nodded to himself. "You guys cover me."

"No. It's a suicide run." Maggie shook her head.

Glenn looked over at her and sighed. "I'm the fastest."

"No, you, Maggie, Dean and Beth draw as many as you can over there." Rick said, pointing. "Pop 'em through the fence."

Rick looked at Daryl, Carol and Thea. "Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, Thea, both of you've become pretty a good shot." He walked over to Carol and Thea.

"Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste." He told them.

The two nodded.  "Let's go Major." Thea whitelisted before following Carol to the guard tower.

One in the tower Carol handed Thea a rifle. Thea nodded before lifting the gun up where she could see through the scope. She took her time shooting at the walkers, careful to make sure she hit them all.

"Sorry!" Carol shouted out to Rick after almost blowing the man's foot off.

Thea laughed a little causing Carol to look over at her. "You, shush." The woman said with a slight smile.

Rick finally got the gate closed and a smile appeared on Thea's face. "He did it." She said.

"Light it up!" Daryl yelled.

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐀 𝐑𝐀𝐍 𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐍. "Man, I can't believe it." She happily said as she threw one arm around Dean's shoulders and the other around Carl's.

"We haven't had this much space since we left the farm." Carol laughed as she ran through the field.

Dean smiled and nudged Thea with his arm. "I can't believe it either. I mean come on, look at this place." He gestured around.

"It's a fortress." Carl said, nodding.

It was in deed a fortress. And someday the fortress would need defending. Just as any other place.

 Just as any other place

𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐒𝐓 of the group was sitting around a fire eating some squirrel that Daryl and Dean had killed.

"Mmm. Just like mom used to make." Glenn said before throwing his bone to Major.

Thea smiled to herself as the thought of her mom's cooking suddenly entered her mind. "My mom couldn't cook to save her life." She said, a soft laugh fell from her lips.

The others looked at her quietly. Thea never really talked about her mom or her life from before. Other than short answers every once in a while when someone asked. Thea shook her head. "Kenny couldn't cook either. . . But my dad. . . He was an amazing cook."

Thea then looked around at the others only to see them staring at her. Some looked at her with sympathy, it was hard not to. Especially with her only being a young teenager and her whole family being dead. The others looked at her slightly proud that she was finally opening up about her mom, even if it was only about her cooking.

Carl cleared his throat. "My mom makes very bad pancakes." He spoke causing Thea to look over at him.

Thea laughed a little and Lori looked over at her son with a playful glare.

It soon became quiet and T-dog started to glance around. "Tomorrow we'll put all the bodies together. Want to keep them away from the water. Now, if we dig a canal under the fence, we'll have plenty of fresh water." He said.

"And this soil is good. We could plant some seeds," Hershel said as he played with some of the dirt. "Grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans." He then looked off toward where Rick was walking alongside the fence.

"That's his third time around. If there was any part of it compromised, he'd have found it by now." He said, shaking his head.

"This'll be a good place to have the baby." Beth suddenly said her eyes trained on Lori. "Safe."

"Babies scare me." Thea said as she fed Major.

"Walkers don't scare you, but babies do?" Glenn asked with an amused smile.

Thea looked at him and nodded. "Yeah. . . Well, like, newborn babies do. The older ones are okay."

Dean stared at her and soon he started to laugh. "You're so weird."

The Thomas girl grinned at him. "Thank you. I'm very much aware."

Dean found himself smiling back at her. Thea Thomas might be an odd ball but he loved her anyway.

Hershel looked over at Beth. "Bethey, sing Paddy Reilly for me. I haven't heard that, I think, since your mother was alive."

"Daddy, not that one, please." Maggie said shaking her head.

Hershel sighed. "What about the Parting Glass?" He asked.

Beth shook her head. "No one wants to hear." She muttered.

Glenn tilted his head. "why not?" He asked her with a small smile.

Beth looked over at him and sighed before looking back at the fire. "Okay."

♪“of all the money e'er
I had,
I spent it in good company
And all the
Harm e'er I've ever done
Alas it was to none
But me,
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now
I can't recall.
So fill to me
the parting glass.
Good night and joy be with you all.”♪

Daryl and Carol slowly walked over and joined the group by the fire. Daryl sat down by Dean on the ground and offered him some water.

♪“oh, all the comrades that
E'er I had were sorry
For my going away.
And all the
Sweethearts that e'er had”♪

When Rick walked over and crouched down by Carl the boy held out a bowl of meat. Rick took it from him and held it out to Lori.

Soon Maggie joined in on Beth's singing.

♪“would wish me one more
Day to stay. . .
But since it falls
Into my lot that I
Should rise and you should
Not.
I'll gently rise and I'll
Softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
Goodnight and joy
Be with you all.”♪

"Beautiful." Hershel told his girls.

𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑

•ORIGINAL•
3.28.22
10:39pm

•EDITED•
11.14.22
8:54pm

•FINAL•
7.3.23
3:02pm