Ch. 24 - On Bended Knee

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"I'm a pain in the ass? Ha!
Better than being an ass, no?"

- Jade
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 24 - On Bended Knee

▪️S E R G E Y▪️

We arrived at our destination a few minutes before the cake tasting was scheduled to begin.

The quaint little bakery, aptly named The Flying Apron, was a place that was well-known to Aleksandr and myself since they had some of the best Russian tea cakes in Aelbank City. After Natasha had introduced Litizia to the bakery's double chocolate chunk cupcakes, it had become one of Litizia's favourite go-to quick stops since she had moved in with Aleksandr.

The place was run by an elderly Dutch couple, Mr. and Mrs. Meyer. Their daughter, Senna, also worked with them and from what I remembered, would take over soon once her parents retired.

Naturally, since Litizia enjoyed their baked goods, she wanted them to make her wedding cake and cupcakes.

I myself had been a regular customer and enjoyed the Meyer's Russian tea cakes immensely. No one usually believed me when I told them I enjoyed baked goods. 

Sure, I knew that it might seem odd that men such as myself appreciated sweet indulgences, but I felt no shame, knowing that I was not the only Aelbank mafia man who enjoyed such. 

From what Aleksandr had told me, options for the dessert table for the wedding had already been decided on. There would be treats like molasses-pecan sticky buns, donuts, fruit tarts, and of course, Russian tea cakes, among a few other things.

In fact, as I glanced discreetly through the window and caught a glimpse of Mikayla and Hannah, my mind went back to the last big mafia wedding I had attended. Which those two, coincidentally, had been in charge of as well.

Dominic and Jade's wedding had been pretty amazing and I vividly remembered seeing men like Vincent and Aleksandr grinning as they devoured chocolate donuts and sprinkled cake pops.

There was no doubt in my mind that Mikayla and Hannah would do a great job with Aleksandr and Litizia's wedding. Especially since I had witnessed first-hand what they were capable of and it was obvious that their reputation for fantastic work was well-deserved.

After Aleksandr met with Mr. Meyer at the side of the building and gave him the ring box, we waited another minute or so before heading into the bakery.

From the moment we entered, all eyes were on us.

My gaze was immediately drawn to Natasha who had been standing by one of the display cases, looking at some cake slices with Jade. With her hair pulled back away from her face, I could not help but notice how beautiful she looked today.

Not that she was not always stunning, but there was just something about her that seemed to glow. Perhaps it was the dress that she wore, I did not know. But nonetheless, she took my breath away.

Not wanting to make it obvious that she had my attention, I pretended to look around the bakery while inconspicuously taking in her appearance.

Even though I glanced at her for no more than a second, I had been able to get almost every detail of her outfit and sufficed to say, she looked great. Letting out a deep breath, I willed myself not to look at her again, at least not for another few seconds.

Natasha had on a cream-coloured dress that appeared to be a feminine take on the classic tuxedo style. It was sleeveless with peak lapels and what appeared to be a wrap-over fastening around her waist. The dress had a bodycon fit, showing off her curves, stopping just below her knees.