Ch. 32 - Love Is Cruel

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"You shy or just ugly?"

 - Jade
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 32 - Love Is Cruel

▪️S E R G E Y▪️

If anyone had told me that I would be watching Litizia get ready to participate in a dangerous motorcycle race just five days before her wedding, I would have said that they were full of shit.

There was no way that Aleksandr would allow her to endanger herself like that, I would have bet money on it!

Yet, here I was, inconspicuously overseeing the final preparations with Jade while the Russian mafia boss watched from the pavilion of a large hotel that had a spectacular view of the entire racing area.

Many had been surprised by Litizia's enthusiasm to help her fiancé. It was not a jab at her per se, however, when most looked at the D'Apolito heir, they usually saw a very prim and proper young woman and would never have assumed that she even knew how to ride a motorcycle.

In fact, only a handful of people knew how skilled she was.

Which was why Jade had argued that Litizia would be perfect to infiltrate the prestigious racing competition. The grand event took place every two years and also acted as a scouting arena for riders who did not belong to any faction and were looking for work.

Since we had been given information that Michele Lombardo was on the hunt for a new rider, it seemed like a good idea to have Litizia participate. Jade was convinced that once he saw Litizia ride, he would take an interest in her skill and hire her.

Aleksandr had refused to let Litizia participate, but Jade had claimed that since the riders were allowed to keep their anonymity things would be fine. That and she had sneakily enlightened Litizia about the entire situation, backing Aleksandr into a corner when Litizia had begged him to let her help.

Even though Litizia promised Aleksandr that she would be safe, he still had his reservations. After all, the people who entered into this competition were not your everyday bikers. These were men and women from other mafia groups, gangbangers, hell even the Yakuza took part!

Unfortunately, to protect Litizia's identity, we could not fully engage with her. Although, we did have hidden security scattered about, not to mention Jade would be nearby. But much to Aleksandr's apprehension, out on the race track, Litizia would be on her own.

Deep down, however, I knew that she would be alright. I had seen her practicing ever since she moved into the mansion. Despite her prudish demeanour, Litizia was an absolute beast once she put that helmet on.

After walking around some of the other riders, I passed near Litizia under the disguise of checking out her bike when the sound of Jade's voice pulled my attention. Apparently one of the mechanics from one of the other riders' team had been heckling her which immediately made me realise that the man had no idea who he was talking to.

"What the fuck are you staring at?" Jade shouted then asked, "You shy or just ugly?"

I gently shook my head.

The man seemed shocked at her aggression, not to mention the snickers from those who had heard Jade obviously embarrassed him. With a frown, I watched as he packed up his tools and stood, trying to intimidate Jade with his height.

Taking a step forward, he seemed to find his voice as he yelled, "Maybe if you didn't dress like a whore I wouldn't be staring."

"What did you just say to me?"