Ch. 35 - To The Altar

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"We're all damaged in one way,
shape, or form, my friend."

- Aleksandr
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 35 - To The Altar

▪️S E R G E Y▪️

It had been hard to keep a straight face when I had seen Natasha in her dress earlier.

Fuck me, she was beautiful.

It was a good thing that Jade had started to harass me, giving me something else to focus on otherwise I probably would have made a fool of myself while also blowing our cover. In the days leading up to the wedding, I was finding it harder and harder to keep my expressions in check, especially around Aleksandr, who was way too perceptive for my liking.

Speaking of the purple demon, I could hear Jade shouting from down the hall and I felt sorry for whomever was on the receiving end.

"Better them than me," I muttered.

Aleksandr had been on the opposite side of the villa from Litizia in one of the upstairs bedrooms getting ready. As I stood behind my best friend, I could not help but smile as I studied our reflection in the large mirror in front of us.

"What's that look on your face about?" Aleksandr asked, our eyes locking.

Running my hands over his shoulders, I answered, "Oh nothing, it's just that I never would have thought that you of all people would be looking forward to getting married."

"As if you're one to talk! We both know that you are no different where–" Aleksandr stopped himself as the bedroom door suddenly opened.

We did not need to look to know that Jade had entered; she was probably the only person who would have dared to enter without knocking. The audacity of this woman never ceased to amaze me, but as annoying as she could be, I could not picture her being any other way.

Jade walked over, letting us know that everything for the wedding was in order and that we should head down to the altar within the next thirty minutes or so. After exchanging a few more words, Jade went towards the window to look out at the ceremony space.

Turning his attention back to me, Aleksandr narrowed his eyes and whispered, "This discussion isn't over..."

Feigning ignorance, I grinned, "I don't know what you're talking about, all I was trying to say was that marriage is a big commitment. I mean, they don't call it the old ball and chain for nothing."

Aleksandr mumbled something inaudible.

"Although, as much as I joke around, I know that your marriage won't be a prison, unlike that one over there. I feel so sorry for Dominic, poor bastard," I said with a tsk.

Jade huffed, "Excuse me, I'm standing right here you know?"

"Yes, and?" I retorted, still annoyed that she had barged in without knocking.

Aleksandr simply shook his head, not wanting to get in between the two of us. He knew that I could more than handle myself where Jade was concerned, but he always kept an eye on us either way in case we took things too far.

Ignoring Jade, I continued to tease Aleksandr, "Looks like your dog days are really over now," I grinned while helping him into his dark grey jacket.

With a scoff, Jade commented, "Who are you fooling? Those days were over the minute he laid eyes on our girl Zia."