Ch. 28 - Just Let Go

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"Where's your off button?"

- Sergey
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 28 - Just Let Go

▪️N A T A S H A▪️

If I said that the rest of the engagement celebration went off without any further distractions, I would be lying.

After all, this was a room full of gangsters and psychopaths.

Watching Sergey pretend to be cordial with Karl in front of the various guests was comical to say the least. Now that I knew of the history between the two men, I was able to pick up on subtle nuances I had previously missed whenever I witnessed them interacting.

Like the way Karl would purposefully lean into Aleksandr when he was retelling a story while impishly looking at Sergey, who would then reply with an inconspicuous curl of his upper lip. It looked like it was taking every ounce of self-control Sergey possessed not to reach across and stab the German in his neck.

I shuddered to think of what would happen if Jade and Karl teamed up.

Although, as much as Sergey detested Jade's meddling, I knew that she was coming from a good place. I supposed in a way, it was the same with Karl as even though I believed that he wanted me to be happy and by extension Sergey as well, I also knew that Karl took great pleasure in harassing his childhood friend.

While I was grateful for everything Jade has done for me, sometimes I wished that she would give me a little space to try and figure out things on my own.

I hated having to hide what was going on with Sergey especially as I had no one to talk to about it. I would have loved to hear what Litizia and Jade would have to say about the situation, but I realised that, at least for now, this was the right decision for me.

From the way Sergey behaved tonight, a part of me acknowledged that he did not seem to care if people knew about us. Even if a part of that was due to his possessive male pride to claim ownership, it warmed my heart nonetheless.

At this point, I resigned myself to the feelings I had for Sergey.

As far as my emotions were concerned, I had decided to just let go; there seemed to be no point in lying to myself and holding back on what I felt. But just because I had decided to do such, did not mean that I would go shouting my feelings out for everyone to hear.

Plus, if I was being honest with myself, there was an extra thrill in having to sneak around.

My mind kept going back to Sergey's offer.

He wanted me to quit my job as an escort, even going so far as to take care of my financial needs. I guessed he really was not joking when he said he was selfish and greedy. Sergey did not want to share me and truthfully, had the situations been reversed, I probably would have asked the same of him.

I could acknowledge that it was a very tempting offer, after all, being a kept woman had its perks. But having been locked up for most of my life, I craved a certain amount of independence and I was glad that Sergey realised that and also gave me the option of doing something else for work.

Having him as an investor for my dance studio would not be a bad idea. But knowing him, he probably would not take the money back, so that was also something I needed to think about.

Although, as I took a sip of my champagne, I figured that I could always find a sneaky way to get the money back to him with the help of Aleksandr or Litizia.