Of Stars

"... So what do you think, bronze or blue?"

Mary and I sit together, cross-legged on the floor of the common room. Between us, a long chain of beautiful roses we've crafted painstakingly out of parchment paper.

Chewing at my lip in thoughtful consideration, I carefully hold a portion of the garland up in front of me, "... Good question. Perhaps we could alternate the colours?"

A gift for Pandora - a small token of gratitude we'd been inspired to craft. Our humble way of showing appreciation for the help she'd provided Mary that night.

Mary smiles at this, "Oooh, love that! Here, hold it steady and I'll charm it."

I watch as my friend raises her wand in the air and twirls it effortlessly.

We gasp in unison, our expressions ones of pure delight as the roses transform before our eyes from dull yellowed parchment colouring to gorgeous shades of peacock blue and metallic bronze.

Ravenclaw colours.

All the house colours are beautiful, of course.

But there's just something so special, so completely striking about the bronze and blue ...

"Oh, Mary, it's simply lovely."

"Not as lovely as her, that's for certain. But it'll do."

"Here, I've got an idea!"

Passing her the garland to hold, I pick my wand up from its place at my side and narrow my eyes in concentration, "Aperta Risu."

Mary tips her head to one side, eyes glancing between me and the garland, "... What'd you just do?"

"Just a fun little spell. Smile."

She does, and the paper petals of the roses open, magically emitting faint swirls of golden light.

Mary squeals with delight, "Oh Merlins, that's incredibly beautiful!"

"Every time she smiles near it, they'll do that."

"Come, then? Ready?"

Rising to her feet, Mary holds out her hand to me, "Yes. Let's go find her, straight away!"

Since it's near dinnertime, we make our way down to the Great Hall. And there, sure enough, seated at the far end of the Ravenclaw table, we spot Pandora.

As if expecting us, the graceful blonde witch turns her head in our direction and smiles warmly as we approach.

"Xeno," she murmurs lightly, her hand gently tapping the shoulder of her boyfriend, "It appears as though we're met with the company of some lovely visitors."

His attention deep in an impressively large tome set before him, dinner plate pushed forgotten to the side, Xenophilius Lovegood continues scanning the text before him for another several seconds before finally glancing upwards and giving us each a cordial nod.

"Mary, Y/N! Please, join us."

Pandora's words, spoken as she gestures to the open seats across from them. Returning their smiles, Mary and I slide into the seats.

Quirking a smile at Xeno, Mary nods and chuckles, "... Quite a book you've got there, Lovegood."

"Oh, this," he muses breezily, fingertips tapping affectionately at the book, "It's nothing really. Just a bit of light reading."

Only a Ravenclaw -

"That's light!?"

"For me it is. I like to read. This one's helping me prepare for an upcoming debate."