Amy

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Late May, 1978.

"... Hi Y/N."

"... Hi Moony."

It isn't an unexpected encounter. Not at all.

This morning after breakfast Remus chased me down the halls, calling after me. Turning, I awkwardly waited as he approached. And then, after a brief, tense exchange, we agreed to an afternoon meeting alone on the shores of the Great Lake. And so it's in silence now that I sit on our boulder and watch as my lanky, tall friend approaches.

Looking in every way a young man as opposed to the little boy I first met years prior.

Hands deep in the pockets of his trousers, he pauses as his feet reach the rocky shoreline. Frozen like that for several long seconds, we stare one another down intently.

Exhaling deeply, he nods more seemingly to himself than me and then swiftly closes the remaining distance between us. Upon finally reaching me he wordlessly drops down to my side, the two of us now seated together on the large rock.

It's been so long -

So unfathomably long since you and I were last here.

... And to think ...

This used to be our spot.

Head turning and eyes finding mine, he grants me a stiff nod, "Thank you for agreeing to meet."

Staring back at him, I reply rather coldly, "Yes."

Perhaps if I were a better woman, I might thank him for reaching out; for initiating this long overdue meeting between the two of us.

After all, the unspoken intent's obvious:

To clear the air before graduation.

To attempt a true reconciliation, not merely a superficial one.

To discuss our moving in together, our moving forward.

... But I suppose I'm not a better woman.

In fact, I'll be the first to admit I'm rather flawed;

Prideful

And quite stubborn

Especially when I think I'm right.

And this ongoing fight with Remus over Reggie?

... Of that I know I'm right.

"Warm out today."

He states it plainly, his crisp delivery a sharp contrast to the muggy afternoon heat.

Just as cold as I am.

But he's trying.

And that means a lot, especially knowing how stubborn he is

How equally prideful.

And in the end, the last thing in the world I want is to lose Remus.

So it's time to put my ego to the side;

If he's willing to try, I'll try, too.

Clearing my throat, I gesture towards the lake as I force myself to hold his gaze, "Fancy skipping some rocks?"

Perhaps an exercise in something we've done together over the past seven years might help relieve some of the unbearable tension between us.

No magic bullet