Intimidated

I was much happier and found school more exciting when Kosi wasn't there.

A few days later when we had begun intensive lessons for our upcoming Junior WAEC examination, Kosi came back.

She was much fairer and had added flesh, people scrambled to hug her.

She entered the apartment with a group of girls following her and she stared at me then looked away.

I tried as much as possible not to feel intimidated but I was..... Pretty much.

  Kosi brought out a flask filled with food and began to share to people there then she came to me.

"You know... I've forgiven you" she said.

I smiled. "Me too"

She nodded with a grin. "Do you want to eat?" She asked holding out a spoon of delicious jollof rice.

"No, I'm not hungry" I replied although my stomach grumbled in protest.

"Let's be friends okay? I'm not trying to insult you or anything"

"I just don't collect things from people I'm not familiar with"

"Most introverts are like that.... What do you want to be in future.... You will be good for a lecturer or maybe a nurse" she said.

"No, I want to be a lawyer, my aunty once worked at the judiciary. I like it"

Kosi scoffed. "Lawyers are beggars, you know right?"

"Mh, I think it depends on how good you are"

"No, it depends on your connection these days" she said with a smile.

"Oh... I..."

"Who do you know?" She interrupted.

"Nobody" I admitted.

"I've studied your behaviour... Law won't fit you okay? Why don't you be like me? Become a doctor or a surgeon or at least study science, you have the brains"

"I don't have the passion" I replied.

"Really, you are making a mistake, you might as well end up as a trader" she chuckled.

I forced a smile.

"See you later, okay?"

"Yeah" I murmured.

She left with her food swinging her hips in a way that made me feel more inferior.

There was truth in what she said and this was not the first time I was hearing it.

I sighed and lay on my bed.

***

 Anderson watched as I dropped my bag.

"Ryl, you are not looking bright this morning" he said.

"Yes" I muttered as though it explained everything.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing" I replied.

"You are lying, I can tell"

"Can you leave me alone please?"

"As you wish" he murmured.

 During break, Amara came to my class, I went outside to meet her.

"Nneoma, mummy is here" she told me.

"Mummy?"

"Yes... I guess she wants to see her baby girl" she winked at me.

"Did she come with Kennedy?" I asked after my elder brother.

"No but if you keep asking questions, we won't see her"

She grabbed my hand and we headed for my guardian's office. Mum was sitting on one of the chairs there with her legs crossed over and she was pressing her phone.

I ran to her excitedly. "Oh mummy, I missed you" I hugged her tightly.

She laughed happily rubbing my shoulders.

Amara just stood beside us.

"How is school?" She asked when I finally disengaged from her.

"School is fine" I replied.

"Amara, how are you?" Mum asked reaching out to touch her since she was standing and I was sitting on my mum's lap.

"I'm fine, it's just that I have someone to take care of" she gestured to me.

"Come on, Nneoma isn't giving trouble, is she?"

"No, but now she's here, it's easy for her to meddle into my business"

"What business do you have anyway?" Mum asked laughing.

Amara frowned and looked away.

"Mummy, I want to tell you something" I said taking her hands.

"What is it?"

"See, Nneoma, this is break period, in less than 20 minutes, we will have to go back to class so better be fast about what you want to say" Amara interrupted with a frustrating tone.

"If break is over, you can go okay?" I replied her sharply.

She hissed and sat on one of the chairs there.

"Mummy, there's a girl in my class... Her name is Kosi...."

"Oh, come on Nneoma, we've settled the Kosi case" Amara interrupted again.

"It's different"

"Amara, allow your sister to talk so that the both of you would be early to class" mum warned.

Amara's frown deepened and she folded her arms.

"Okay mummy, the girl was telling me that I don't fit being a lawyer, she called me an introvert" I rushed my words conscious of Amara's impatience.

Mum shook her head. "Every introvert is an extrovert to a handful of people. An introvert has the moment when he or she exerts the attitude of an extrovert so that is not enough to get your hopes down" mum said.

"But, is it true that you can't be a lawyer unless you have connections?" I asked.

"Basically in Nigeria, yes" Amara replied rolling her eyes.

"Well, it depends on how good your grades are" Mum said.

I groaned. "So, should I or should I not be a lawyer?" I asked.

Amara chuckled. "Go for what you want"

"Okay" I muttered.

"By the way, it's too early to talk about this, you are still in junior school" mum advised.

I nodded with a sigh. Mum stood up to leave. "I'll be going back to work tomorrow, I'll miss you girls"

Amara stood up and we hugged her.

"Amara, your sister loves you so be grateful she's here okay?"

Amara nodded and mum kissed her forehead before turning to kiss mine.

"Good bye mum" Amara said taking my hand.

"Good bye, sweetheart" mum waved at us as she left the office.

"The two of you should come and see me after school to collect what she bought for you, eh?" My guardian said.

"Yes sir" we replied at the same time.

Hello lovely invisible and visible readers, how are y'all doing?

If you had someone like Kosi in your life, what would you to to the person or how would you behave towards the person?

I want to plead for something, I hope you grant my plea.

Well.... This book needs more readers so please share to people that love novels, let's elevate our book a bit.

Don't forget to vote, comment and please share!!!

Thank youuuuu.