A Friend

Amara was now very distant and it began to bother me so that one afternoon after extra lessons, I hurried to her class, I had made previous request if I could come and she gave me a straight 'no'.

But here I was with my bag running towards her class.

School was over and people clustered on the corridor gisting, boys and girls, girls and girls and boys and boys.

I looked around but Amara was not there so I climbed the stairs and entered her class, she was bent over her book with a friend of hers.

I sighed and walked towards her. "Amara?"

She looked up with horror. "Nneoma, get out of here as fast as you can"

"But why?"I snapped angrily.

Her friend looked up. "You told David you are the only child right?"

Amara hissed. "Nneoma, just get out of here"

This was beginning to make sense.
"Who is David?"

She shook her head. "That shouldn't be your priority right now, just leave"

"But why would you even lie?" Her friend asked and Amara glared at her.

A boy walked over to the both of them. "Amy, I'm going o" he said.

"Yes, I should escort you" she replied with a quick glare at me.

"Who's this?" The boy pointed to me.

"Oh" Amara smiled sheepishly. "Don't worry about her" she took his hand and led him out of the class.

I shook my head and left.

***
Deze smiled at me as I entered the hostel. "Ryl, you should take part in the beauty pageant" she said.

"Oh no! I won't win" I replied.

"Your sister won last year and you are even finer than her, Kosi wins every year, it's not even funny as if she's perfect"

"Oh!" I said simply.

"Ryl now" Deze begged.

"Why don't you compete, yourself?"

"I failed last year"

"I'm not the beauty type"

"You don't have to be... We are just looking for someone to throw Kosi off that seat, she feels she's the prettiest"

"I thought she's your friend, why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"Kosi said I'm ugly" Deze said angrily.

"So prove to her that you are not ugly not using me"

"Ryl please"

"I'll think about it"

I dropped my bag on my bed and pulled my clothes off.

"Exams begins tomorrow, you know right?" I said.

"Yes, it's no big deal, I've never seen anyone repeat due to failing it"

"I know but... At least just so that you can make good grades"

"I'm prepared" she grinned.

I chuckled.

***
That evening, as we walked to the dinning, Kosi smacked my back. "Ryl, you are so skinny, even your bum is gone"

I turned around sharply as the girls burst into laughter.

"Kosi, what's the meaning of that?" I questioned her angrily.

"Ryl, your bum is so flat" she giggled and they joined her.

I was enraged and I didn't know when my hand went over her cheek.

She looked as surprised as I was and she slapped me back.

I grabbed her hair and pushed her to the floor, a group of girls encircled us chanting excitedly. "Fight! Fight!"

I paused and studied my  surroundings, I glared at her and walked away.

"Ryl!" Someone called behind me.

"What?" I snapped angrily.

Asah met up with me. "Why didn't you beat her when you had the chance?"

"It's of no use, everyone loves her, nobody even knows me"

"Are you for real?"

"The first intelligent newcomer we have? The first person to displace Anderson in his position...."

"I displaced my friend not my enemy" I said.

Asah sighed. "She's not worth being your enemy"

"She's better than me in every aspect, she's beautiful, she's fair, her hair is long, she has a big bum, she has long lashes.... She is perfect, Asah" I told her bitterly.

"You think you have a flat bum? Go and look at Mercy's own, at Nora's own even, you are very beautiful o"

"Chai, please, I hate lies" I frowned.

Asah shrugged. "People don't know what they have until they lose it"

I said nothing.

"Come let's go to dinning, abeg" Asah grabbed my hand as we walked to the dinning.

As we ate, Asah tapped me. "And the next time she looks for your trouble, don't forget to use pin to burst her inflated 'bum bum' "

I burst into laughter and Asah smiled and that was when I knew I had made a friend.

Have you been insulted for the way you look? Or maybe something weird about you?

Just know that you are unique, as long as you are a human being and you didn't add any artificiality, anyone insulting is very blind because you are God's image and God doesn't make mistakes in his creation.

Okay, I'm being inspirational right now 🤭🤭.

How do you see this chapter, hope it met your expectations?

How would you feel if you were in Ryl's position and Amara treated you that way?

Show your love by voting, commenting and sharing.

Thank you.