Another Amara

Anderson and Asah were peering at me closely as I held my subject form in my hands. Anderson and Asah were both doing science and I had finally come to peace with arts, I would cope with the subjects one way or the other and I will be successful but now as I held the subject form, my heart began to race and tears welled up in my eyes.
"Do lawyers earn money?" I asked.
Asah sighed. "A good lawyer earns a lot of money, Ryl"
"What if I'm not a good lawyer?" I queried.
"God hasn't said so" Anderson told me quietly.
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath then hurriedly filled the form and followed them to submit it at the lady's desk.
I burst into tears as we left the office.
"What's up now?" Anderson asked.
"I don't just know what I'm doing anymore
....."
Anderson pulled me to a tight hug. "There's absolutely nothing to worry about.... God will not let you down.... You are an all rounder, wherever you go to... You are bound to excel so why fear?"
I sniffed and pulled away from him cleaning my eyes. "Thank you.... I'm fine now"
"Ryl, shebi you know this thing you are doing no make sense at all... You are supposed to be rejoicing, it's a new class, a new beginning, new friends...."
"Eh eh... Don't even start, I don't want new friends ooo" I snapped.
"Awwn, she loves us" Anderson joked and we laughed.

We arrived at school at the same time to collect our results and fill in our subject forms that will determine our classes, the school was still in session and the other students had their eyes on us as we trooped into the school with flashy outfits just to impress. Dad dropped me with some snacks and money for Amara and he told me to call when I was done, he equally advised me to go for arts. Now, I was going with Anderson and Asah to collect our results from the office. We stood in the queue, I could spot Kosi just two people ahead of us, she was on knot less braids that fell elegantly across her shoulders.
"You should say hi to her" Asah whispered to me.
"What for?"
"To indicate that you have no issues with her even if she has with you"
I shook my head and walked to Kosi's line.
"Hi!" I said in an artificial cheerful voice.
"Uh... Ryl!" She exclaimed happily and hugged me.
"Heiiii!" The crowd exclaimed but Kosi ignored them.
"How are you? What did you choose?"
"What do you mean?" I asked her.
"Your class?"
"Oh... Arts na... I hope to be a lawyer in future"
She scoffed. "Isn't it better you go for something better than that.... You are a science material"
"Okay, that's enough.... Kosi" Anderson interrupted taking my hands protectively.
"Oh your boyfriend" Kosi chuckled. "I can't wait to see my result because I'm sure I made all A's" she continued.
"That's nice, very interesting. Ryl, let's go" Anderson pulled me.
I followed him back to the line and Asah frowned. "The girl never changes.... I wonder if she even feels shame at all" she raved with anger.

When Kosi got her result, there was a tight frown on her face, Anderson received his before me and Asah and so we joined him outside. "So what is yours saying?" Asah asked happily as she looked up from her own.
"Well mine says 6 A's and 5 B's" Anderson said.
"Yay! I passed you Andy... I got 7 A's and 3 B's and 1 C"
"Ha! Since when Asah? It's now Andy" I teased her.
"Are you jealous? I'm not trying to steal your man o" Asah chuckled.
"You dey ment" Anderson laughed.
"Ryl, you've not told us your result" Asah changed the subject.
"Well.... It's a good one... 9 A's and 2 B's" I announced.
"Omo... Ryl we go branch, let me spoil you small" Anderson said.
"Abeg" I laughed. "My dad is coming to pick me"
"So is mine" Anderson burst into laughter. Asah shook her head. "I wonder what Kosi got"
"Leave the fowl, if you check she got 11 B's". Anderson hissed.
"Ahn ahn, take it easy" Asah shrugged her shoulders.

The results were good and I was glad that we passed very well. I went to meet Amara in her class, it was break period and many of the students were at the canteen buying and gisting. Anderson and Asah waited for me outside while I went inside the class, it was nearly empty but Amara was there alone as I suspected, I drew nearer without alerting her, she was poring over a book and I looked into it, it was a magazine, the kind Dad didn't let us see.
"Amara" I called quietly.
She jerked and snapped it shut. "God! Nneoma, why didn't you alert me or something" she asked shakily.
"I didn't know I had to alert you before getting close to you" I replied disgusted.
She stared at the magazine and back at me.
"What do you want... Why are you in school today?"
"We are collecting our results today and Dad asked that I give you this" I handed her the parcel and made to leave but she held me. "You didn't see anything okay?"
"How?" I glared at her painfully.
"You did not see the magazine" she told me sternly.
"What has come over you? You are not like this" I half whispered.
"Nneoma, just go home and don't mention this to anyone"
"Mention what? That my sister now watches nude girls on magazine?" I scowled at her.
"What do they have that I don't?" She eyed me.
"So why do you want to hide it if it's so right.... I wouldn't be shocked that there are naked boys there too" I retorted.
Amara lowered her eyes in guilt.
"Don't tell me..... Amara!" I covered my mouth in horror and left the class immediately.
'This is not my sister.... This is not Amarachukwu, she wouldn't do this... It's a sin, it's wrong, it's not her!'
I joined Anderson and Asah with a heavy heart as we walked towards the school gate. I could sense that they know something is wrong with me but they also know that they shouldn't dare ask.

Hello everyone. Another chapter, I hope you are enjoying the story, please, vote, comment and share. It's what keeps me going. Thank you.