The End

I climbed out of a taxi and walked into the chambers.

Wilson was talking with the judge. "Good morning my Lord" I greeted the judge.

"Welcome barrister Ryl"

I smiled at Wilson before going into the office I shared with him.

I was meeting  with Kosi today and I was going to see her daughter who was my namesake.

I muttered a short prayer before arranging my files for the day.

Wilson peeked in a while later. "Kosi is here, should I usher her in?"

"Yes"

Kosi walked in, she was wearing a yellow gown that matched well with her skin and hugged her body in all the right places, her face was devoid of any makeup and beside her was a little girl holding onto a doll shaking it with so much interest while her mother dragged her along.

"Good morning, Ryl" she greeted with a smile.

"Good morning" I stood up to hug her and tugged her daughter's cheek. "How are you Nneoma?"

"Say fine" Kosi told her but she just stared at me.

"Did he do anything to you?" I asked noticing her slightly swollen cheeks.

She shrugged. "Just a slap, nothing much"

"What happened?" I enquired with concern.

"I touched his phone" she sighed tiredly and sat on the chair. "I didn't sleep in his house yesterday night"

I kept quiet watching her with interest.

"... And then I discovered that he's cheating on me"

"Do you know who it is?"

She shook her head and then dug into her handbag and brought out a piece of paper which she handed it to me.

I took it from her and stared at it. It was a letter from a woman obviously to her husband.

"Can it be used as evidence?" Kosi asked.

I nodded with a small smile bringing out my phone which I used to snap her swollen cheeks then I turned to her daughter pulling her close.

"Can I talk to her alone?"

Kosi shrugged and shifted her chair away from us.

"How's daddy?" I asked Nneoma.

She frowned. "Daddy not good"

I put on the recorder of my phone and repeated my question.

"Daddy not good" she said again still frowning.

"Why?"

"I don't like him. He not do me like other daddies".  She replied pouting.

"How?"

"He not buy anything for me, he not carry me, he beat mummy, I hate daddy but I like mummy, mummy very kind but daddy make her cry"

I bit my lip and put off the recorder and saved the recording then I held her hand and escorted her and Kosi out of the courtroom, I bought some biscuits for Nneoma and watched as Kosi took her tenderly.

"I'll try my best" I told Kosi.

"Thank you.... Even after all I've done to you, guess what we do has a way of coming back to us"

Emotions surged in my body and I pulled Kosi in a hug, tears running down my cheeks.

"Thank you so much, Ryl" she said.