Fulfillment

7 years later.

I graduated from the University with second class upper and I had just completed my master's degree and youth service  and I was working in a court in Enugu as a junior lawyer.

I had secured an apartment in Enugu where Kennedy resided with his wife and their children, a boy and girl.

Amara was in the North where she was retained after her youth service although she was making plans to leave the country with her fiancé.

  It was afternoon and I returned from work and was about dishing out food for myself when a call came to my phone, it was Asah.

"Hello?"

"Kele proposed today in a restaurant, all eyes were on us, I'm so excited....."

"Babe slow down" I interrupted.

"I'm excited!" She shouted excitedly over the line.

"Is a ring on your finger right now?"

"Yes, duh! My parents know already but they want to keep it till we graduate next month"

"Congratulations Asah"

"I'm missing you" she whined.

"Me too" I laughed.

"How's David?" She asked.

I bit my lip. "I broke up with him" I replied.

"Why?"

"We just can't make things work, he's presently in Lagos, how do I know that he won't find another girl better than me like..... Anderson did".

It's been so long since I mentioned that name and it felt so weird.

"The difference is that you were not Anderson's girlfriend but you were David's girlfriend and you were with Anderson for just two years, you were with David for six good years"

"Oh please, it's not about the time, it's the feelings" I hissed. "He didn't love me, I know he cared about me but David is hot tempered and he didn't actually love me, he just thought that I was beautiful"

Asah sighed over the phone. "You are not getting any younger, Ryl"

"Twenty-five years is not too old" I said bluntly.

"I'm twenty-five and I have a fiancé" I shrugged although she couldn't see me.

"I'll speak to you later" she sounded sad.... For me.

"I'm seriously fine Asah.... I'll speak to you later too"

"Bye"

"Bye"

I sighed and hung up.

***
My colleague, Wilson picked a file and gave it to me. "Ryl, that's for you."

I collected it and stared at the file. "What's it about?" I asked him.

"I don't know, I didn't check it"

I opened the file and saw a list of the names of people that had come to see me and my eyes met one name, taking it in and feeling the memories of the past flooding in me.

"Ukandu Kosisochukwu was here?"

Wilson stared at me. "I said I don't know what it contains"

I blinked and inhaled before asking the secretary to let them in one by one.

The first woman told me that she wanted me to speak with her husband about beating her up unless she would divorce him, I collected some information concerning herself and her husband and filed it.