Tough

Asah carefully pulled my clothes and put them in her bucket. It had been a month since we resumed and I fell sick, I wasn't as much as enjoying arts class and the side comments weakened me so that afternoon, I developed a fever, a high one at that and Asah decided to help out in washing my clothes.
"What's wrong with Ryl today?" Flourish asked Asah.
"She's running a temperature" Asah replied with a sigh.
"Should I call her sister?" She offered.
"Good Samaritan" Deze said loudly with a hiss.
I didn't see what happened but I couldn't miss the sound of a hot slap on Deze's cheek.
"Jesus! Asah are you mad?" Deze exclaimed.
"Very very" Asah hissed angrily.
Deze pushed Asah and she fell on the ground, standing up immediately, she grabbed Deze's hair and pushed her to the wall beating her senseless. A small crowd encircled them hailing. "Asah! Asah! Asah!"
I got down from my bed before things could get any worse and went to separate them. As I tried to pull them apart, I felt a powerful quack and I fell to the ground, hitting my head on the floor and everything went black instantly.
***
"Ryl"
It was blurry and I couldn't make out the face before me.
"Nneoma, please get up"
That voice alone helped my heavy eyelids to snap open.
Amara and Asah were hovering over me, it smelt like the school's clinic and that's where I was.
"Oh God thank you .... She's awake" Asah said with a worried look.
"Thank God" Amara clasped her hands over her mouth. "Nneoma, there are things that you shouldn't even enter, you were weak and you are going to separate fight, are you normal?".
"Senior Amara, she's still weak please" Asah muttered fearfully.
My eyelids snapped shut again.
"Give her space" I heard the nurse say.
Amara and Asah shifted obediently while the nurse placed the injection needle on my arm.
***
Amara bought mineral and doughnuts for me to eat while I was in the clinic, Flourish and Tochi came to visit, Nora came too but the person I wanted to see wasn't there, my best friend, Anderson who was probably at home caring less about anything except his parents and sister.
Amara had been very nice, she stayed with me for so long until the nurses chased her away, I felt very weak.
Then the nurse came again and administered more injections.
When it was night, they gave me a plate of rice and meat to eat, I felt nauseated at the sight of the food and I managed to take a few spoons just so that they could let me go.
When they finally released me, I staggered to the class for night prep. I didn't want to  face questions so I stayed on the corridor. Few minutes and night prep was over, I left before everyone else to the dormitory and climbed into bed.
"You okay?" Asah asked suddenly.
I didn't reply, tears had seeped to my eyes.
"Ryl what is it? Are you still sick? Tell me" she persuaded looking really worried.
"I don't want to be an arts student anymore".
She stared at me with unblinking eyes. "So what do you plan on doing?"
I coughed as the tears hung just below my eyes. "I don't know"
"Ryl, stop... I don't like this"
"I'm not joking"
Asah hissed and carefully packed my clothes for washing. "Tie your towel so that when I'm done with washing, we will bathe"
I nodded obediently.
She went out to the lawn.
"Ryl, how are you?" Flourish asked.
"I'm fine"
"Did they ask you to go home?"
"No" I murmured.
"I'm so sorry"
I said nothing rather I looked away, I couldn't really fathom what she was sorry for but all I know is that confusion had set in and I couldn't deal with it, I needed my mother and father, anybody that would advice me on what to do but definitely I didn't want to continue any more.

***
Another paper, this time, she made it obvious that she was the one, her handwriting and everything, I saw it that morning just before I got ready to go to the dining. My headache was still there although I had some strength now.
I opened the paper cautiously. 'Ryl, you are making mistake, you scored the highest in JSSCE, you excelled in science not arts, I'm telling you because I'm a concerned friend and I care'
I stared at the paper for a long time then I tore into into two and threw it on the floor, I rushed into my clothes and left immediately for the dining. I saw Flourish and Mercy on my table and I just sat down, Asah joined me some minutes later.
"Ryl what happened?"
"It's Kosi"
"What did she say this time?" Asah groaned.
I told her what the paper contained and surprisingly, she started laughing, I got annoyed. "What's so funny?"
She kept on laughing.
I hissed and stood up and went to another table, she followed me.
"Sorry na" she said impatiently.
"I'm not angry" I lied.
"I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at Kosi for saying she's a concerned friend"
I frowned still.
"Okay, I'm sorry"
I still said nothing, she exhaled and held my hand. "People say things Ryl, Kosi is only trying to intimidate you, let me not lie.. me sef, I hate law, it requires so much reading but you, you can read very well, infact, what can you not do?"
I blushed though I was still sad that I couldn't defend myself, I was so weak, Kosi was winning me in everything, every single thing.