Chapter 7

A/n the outfit above is if you can't imagine the described outfit later on in the chapter, it's completely fine if you want to imagine the outfit yourself :)

Marella's pov:

If you got nothing, you've got nothing to lose. Ziggy's voice echoed through my head while i was serving breakfast to the campers. It was the first wise thing that ever came out of her mouth, and she was right. I shouldn't be so scared. It's just a Goode, what's the worst that could happen?

I chuckled to myself and walked back to the kitchen. I grabbed some more plates and when i turned around, i almost bumped into someone. "Oh my god, you scared the shit out of me" i said and Nick chuckled. "Goodmorning sunshine" he joked and i rolled my eyes as i walked back to the mess hall to give more campers food. I didn't have to serve everyone, only the kids under 10 since they will drop everything. They're dangerous to be honest. It's quite sad that they're here. All of their parents going on vacation, not having enough money to take the kids with them. They're all shadysiders, obviously. But to see kids finally having three meals a day for atleast four weeks, if just heartbreaking. They get so excited at just a slice of bread during lunch. Everyone over twelve knows why they're here, they've learned what they never knew by now. It's sad to know that in two years the childhood will be ripped away from some of those kids.

Or maybe just a minute. I heard a plate drop and immediately snapped my head back. I saw a little girl in shock, looking at the plate she just dropped. She started shaking and hurriedly tried to pick up all the pieces. "Hey, leave that on the floor!" i shouted and walked over to her. She jumped up and cut her finger on a piece of the plate. She backed away from me and started crying. "Hey what's wrong?" i softened my voice and crouched down to her level. "I uhm dropped a plate. I'm so sorry, i- uhm i didn't mean to. Please don't hit me" she stuttered. "Why would i hit you?" i smiled, but then it hit me. My smile dropped and i gave her a hug. "It's okay, you're safe here. I'm not gonna hurt you" i whispered in her ear and tried to comfort her.

"What's your name?" i asked as i wiped her tears and smiled at her. "I'm Chloe" "Well Chloe, go to counsellor Slater and ask him to take you to nurse Lane. I will clean up the mess alright?" i asked her softly and she nodded. "Don't worry too much about it, it's just a stupid plate" i smiled and she laughed. She ran to Tommy and i startedto pick up the pieces of the plate. My eyes filled with tears thinking back to when i was her age. Knowing she has to learn to learn to live with that trauma, and she's only eleven or twelve.

I picked all the pieces up and when i was back in the kitchen, the tears started to fall down. "Why are you crying?" Nick asked. Shit, i forgot he was here. "Did you see that little girl?" "Yeah why was she crying over a plate?" he laughed but when he saw my eyes his smile dropped. "Oh" he said and i nodded. "Yeah, oh" i mocked him and he opened his arms. I quickly walked to him and wrapped my arms around him. He stroked my back with my hand and i immediately felt more at peace. "Why does it hurt you so much, you don't even know her" he whispered and i sighed. "But i know what she's going through" i whispered back and he tightened his grip. "It's just unfair Nick" i sobbed and he sighed. "I know"

"I didn't lie when i said i'm emotional" i laughed and he chuckled. "Yeah you are quite sensitive" he said and he pulled back and wiped my tears. "I can't help it, it just happens" i shrugged and he smiled at me. "Don't worry too much about her, it's just a stupid plate" he said and i chuckled. He kissed my forehead and i smiled at him. "Thanks Nick" "No need to thank me, it's what a boyfriend should do" he winked and i rolled my eyes. "Fake boyfriend" i reminded him and he scoffed. "We both know this isn't fake anymore" "If that's your way of asking me to be your girlfriend, you're gonna have to do better" he chuckled and grabbed my hand as we walked back to the mess hall.