Chapter 13

Marella's pov:

Nick and i looked up at Ziggy being pulled up by her hair. She was thrown on the ground by Tommy and just when he was about to hit her with his axe, she was pushed away and Nick jumped in front of her. "Nick!" i yelled as Tommy sliced Nick's leg with his axe. "Run!" he yelled through his gritted teeth and Ziggy grabbed my hand and we started running.

He was dead. Nick was dead. There was no doubt he wasn't. If Tommy didn't kill him he would probably bleed to death. There's nothing or no one that could help him. Ziggy and i ran towards the mess hall. I grabbed knifes as she put on music. We hid in the pantry as Kansas' song was playing through the mess hall. Ziggy explained her plan to me but she quickly shut up when we heard loud breathing and footsteps coming our way. We heard an axe trying to get through the door and we held out breath. We saw him through a creak of the door and he walked inside. Ziggy quietly opened the door and sneaked behind him. And just when she was about to stab him the music stopped and the sound of a footstep on the wooden floor could be loudly heard.

I gasped and Tommy turned around to Ziggy. She quickly stabbed him in his shoulder but he didn't even flinch. Instead he pushed Ziggy against the wall and choked her. I quickly got out of the closet and stabbed him in the back. It didn't work and i looked around for something else. I grabbed a bag and put it on his head and jumped on his back. I grabbed it as tightly as i could and he stumbled and fell to the ground. "Die motherfucker!" i yelled but then he pushed me off. Ziggy grabbed me and we ran away but she fell and took me down with her. Tommy stormed towards us with his axe and we tried to get away.

Just when he was about to hit Ziggy, a noise of a knife stabbing flesh was heard. He turned around and we saw Cindy standing there. "Fuck you!" She screamed while stabbing him in his chest. He fell down and we all sighed in relief. "You swore" Ziggy panted. "It's becoming a habit" she said as she she fell down beside us and hugged the both of us. I wanted to get up to look for Nick but Cindy stopped me. "What are you doing?" she asked and i looked at the both of them. "I'm sorry i just, i have to find Nick. I have to help him" i sighed and they nodded. "Be safe" they said and i quickly ran to the science and nature cabin.

I saw Nick sitting on a bench, his face scrunched up in pain and his pants covered in blood. "Nick!" i yelled and he looked at me and gave me a small smile. "Ella! You- you're still alive" he said and i ran towards him and rolled up his pants to look at his wound. He hissed and i looked around to see if there was anything to clean the cut. There was some water that was probably meant to be given to the camp rabbits, but those are probably never gonna be seen again. I grabbed it and walked back. It was probably not the cleanest water but it was the best that could do. I poured it over the wound and Nick tensed up and grabbed my arm.

"I'm sorry Nick" i said as i ripped my shirt and wrapped it around his leg. "For what?" he groaned as the material of my shirt touched his wound. "For leaving you here" "Don't be sorry, you're still alive. That's all that matters" "You could've been dead" "He immediately went after you, he didn't care about me" Nick said and i frowned as i pulled his pants back to it's place and sat beside him. "It's actually the curse. No Sunnyvalers died. None. But so many Shadysiders. There's no way Tommy would ever go insane and then kill his own people. He would never kill anyone in the first place" i sighed and Nick nodded. "Yes, you're right. But there's something missing to the story. It just isn't right. It isn't logic. We'll figure it out, but first let's get Ziggy and get out of here" he said and i nodded.

I stood up and helped Nick up. He was still able to walk on it a little but i still tried to give him as much support as i could. We walked back to the mess hall, expecting to see Cindy and Ziggy but instead we found a dead Alice. "Oh my god" i said and looked at her in shock. She wasn't here before. Ziggy and i would've noticed. I looked to the spot where Tommy was laying first but there was nothing, only a pool of black blood. "Shit, shit!" i cursed and Nick looked at me confused. "We have to find them, Cindy killed Tommy. He was laying over there" i explained Nick as i pointed to the black blood. "I don't know if he got back from the dead or something but we have to find them!" i yelled to him and we ran as fast as we could.