Chapter 19

Marella's pov

"A MALL? YOU'RE BUILDING A MALL ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!" i woke up to Nick screaming down stairs. I rubbed my eyes and decided to go downstairs to see what was going on. "Yes honey we're building a mall there, we want to make something good out of something bad" i heard Kathleen say and i frowned. "Oh yes cause that's what we always do, we always make something good out of something bad. Cause we're the Goodes and we have to be perfect all the time and we have to show everyone that we're a happy perfect family now don't we" Nick argued back and i walked towards them.

"What's going on?" i asked and Nick scoffed. "My mom talked to the mayor about turning camp into a mall and he thought it was a great idea" he said pissed off and i don't think i've ever seen him this mad. "Wait why?" i asked Kathleen and she sighed. "It's a very traumatic place for alot of people and it would be a great way of giving Shadysiders more places to work at" she smiled. "Or you could just give them money so they can have a chance on going to college as well. It's not like we don't have enough" Nick mumbled and his mother's jaw dropped. "That's enough Nicholas Goode, i'm trying to do the right thing" she yelled at him and he clenched his jaw.

"Oh yeah? You're trying to do the right thing huh? Cause that's what you always do? You accept Ella being here but deep down you don't like it that we're together. But you don't say anything and just keep up the act cause that's the right thing. You build over a place that has so many memories and maybe someday it'll be a place where people can find peace cause that's the right thing. It's the right thing to do right? Because it's traumatising. You know what's traumatising mom? Being pressured to be something i don't want to be. Being mentally abused by your dad because you have to follow his footsteps. Because you have to fit into the Goode reputation. Should we build over his grave as well huh?" he yelled at her with tears in his eyes.

"Go to your room Nicholas" was the only thing she said back and Nick just scoffed. "Well let me tell you one more thing. I love Ella, i think i love her more than i've ever loved somebody. Even you. You've taken away alot of things from me but not her. I'm not letting you. You don't have the right to, you never even had. I hate you" he said and then he stormed off to his room. Kathleen and i were both quiet. Not really knowing what to say.

"I think i'm gonna go upstairs to calm him down a little" i said quietly and Kathleen nodded. "Yeah, yeah that's a good idea. By the way Ella, i really like you, i see how good you are for Nick. You're not the type of girl i expected but i think my expectations never let to something good" she smiled but i could see the tears in her eyes. I smiled back at her and walked upstairs to Nick's room. I walked through the door and saw him sitting on the edge of the bed crying with his head in his hands.

I walked over to him and sat next to him. I hugged him and he cried into my shoulder. "It's okay Nick" i whispered to him. "No! No it's not okay, look at what she's doing. She took away so many things from me and Will and now she's taking something away from so many others just so she can be praised again. So that our family can be praised again" he yelled and i rubbed his back. "I know Nick. You know, you always say that your mom took away alot of things from you. Can i ask you what kind of things?" i asked him quietly and he sat up and wiped his eyes.

"She always chose our friends. If somebody could be able to ruin our reputation we couldn't be friends with them. She chose our hobbies. You know, i used to love playing the piano. But then she pressured me into it too much cause she wanted me to become the best ofcourse. When she noticed that i wasn't that amazing she took that away from me. When she found out i could draw she bought all the best things for me and i felt like i had to be good at it, otherwise she was gonna take that away from me too. I had a friend once who liked to dress differently than others, so i started doing that too cause i thought he was so cool. But when my mom noticed, i wasn't allowed to invite him over anymore. She took away my bike cause when i fell my clothes got dirty. She took away my football cause it would fuck up the grass. She took away my comics cause they were too violent" he told me.