Chapter 23

Marella's pov

I finally get home and drop my bag in the hallway. Kathleen is at work but she will probably come home in a couple of minutes. Will is staying over at a friend's house, again. I really don't mind tho, ever since i've been living here, Will hasn't been home alot. I search for Nick but don't find him anywhere. I know that he was home earlier than me cause his science teacher was sick. "Nick? Where are you?" i yell but i hear nothing. I walk upstairs and see the door to the attic opened. I walk up the stairs and find Nick sitting on the ground with his back towards me.

"Hey, what are you doing up here?" i ask him while walking up to him. He doesn't respond and i look at him. He looks in shock. "Nick are you okay?" i ask and sit down next to him. He shakes his head and gives me a diary that he was holding. "Nick what's going on? You're scaring me" i take the diary from him and he opens it to a certain page. "Who's is this?" "My mom's, just read it" he whispers and i frown.

I look at the diary and see that it's not that old. This exact page was written in this year. I look at Nick again but he just stares at the page. I look at the page again and start reading it.

I did it. I killed him. It was the hardest decision i've ever made but i had to. He brought my kids in danger. He ruined their lifes. Nick never had a good childhood because of him. And Will is doomed. I found out about it after i killed him. I found out Will had to carry on, i don't know what happens if he won't. But i can't kill him. I wanna find a solution. He never wanted a solution. He tried to convince me that what he was doing was the best for us and for Sunnyvale. If Nick ever becomes such a bad Sheriff i'll force him to become anything else. I hid everything quite well. They didn't find the poison in his blood cause they all believed he had a heart attack. He kind of did but not a natural one. I guess having a Sheriff as a husband gains the trust of the cops. I feel so guilty but this is what's best for us. This is what's best for Shadyside, and Sunnyvale. Will just can't get children. That way the curse comes to an end. Those poor Shadysiders don't deserve this. It could've been me he cursed. He saved me but at the same time he cursed me. I love it in Sunnyvale but Shadyside will never leave my heart. I don't know if i'm ever gonna be able to never tell the kids about this. But i have to, they'll hate me if i tell the whole story.

My jaw dropped during the first couple of words. I couldn't believe what i was reading. She killed Nick's dad? I close the diary and think about everything i just read. He was an awful man but killing a person? But what else was she supposed to do? The cops would've trusted the Sheriff over his wife. She had no one to run to. "Did she do the right thing?" Nick asked me and i looked at him. He was already looking at me with a frown on his face. "Was there even an option to do the right thing?" i answered his question with another one and he looked down. "Probably not. I don't know what to feel right now. I hated my dad but my mom killed someone. I have fucking psycho parents. Remember when we talked about this? When we tried to figure out how someone died of a heart attack while having a deal with Satan that he'd get what he wanted? How did we not figure this out?" he ran his hands through his hair and put his head in his hands.

We just sat there in silence. Both of us didn't know what to say at all. I mean what was there to say. It was such a weird situation that Nick had to deal with. Will as well but we shouldn't tell him. Then he'd be scared of his own mother. As much as i hate him, i know that being scared of the house you live in sucks. And he's already been through that. I don't hate him enough for that.

But Nick. Nick just read everything. How is he gonna deal with this? Should we talk to Kathleen? Maybe we would understand her better then. Even though it's already pretty clear. She killed him. I don't need to know how. I don't want to. But i understand that Nick probably does have a fuck ton of questions. "Should we talk to your mom about it?" i asked him and he immediately shook his head. "No, absolutely not. And i mean this. Do not
talk to her about this" he said with wide eyes and i nodded. "Alright" "Swear it"