Chapter 14

Again a band practice I did not know the purpose of. Heather summoned us to the storage unit without saying something so I entered the room without knowing what was going on.

»Hey Bitches« I greeted them and laid my backpack on the ground. I heard Heather grunting what made me smile. I sat down on my stool to wait for her to speak.

»We got a new song we need to practice« She announced.

»So you paid a song writer again to write a song we don't need?« Josy determined. Heathers face went red because of her anger.

»I wanted a new song and paid the song writer myself« Heather just replied and handed us some sheets. I looked at it and rolled my eyes. It was not a challenge at all for me so I did not do any effort.

Besides, I was not really into it. I was distracted by the plan I had after the rehearsal. Wyatt asked to record a song together what we wanted to do today. He had written the song even before he asked me and did not know who he should ask for a cooperation.

»Christina, pay attention!« Heather bitched and looked at me in a mix of angriness and annoyance.

»I'm sorry« I murmured. I did a mistake again even though my part was very easy. In my head I thought about the song Wyatt would present so me later and I was excited.

Heather sighed before we started playing again.

During a short break I looked at the cap I wore before I put it on my head again.

»I hate your style« Heather grunted directly looking at me.

»And I hate your character« I replied. Six eyes looked at me shocked.

»I'm just being honest« I added.

»Then why are you still here?« Heather asked.

I made a bubble with my chewing gum and let it pop.

»I love music, you need a drummer and Josy is my best friend« I replied and twisted my drumstick between my fingers. Heather did not seem to be convinced.

»You can't tell me that you never realized that I don't really like you« I went ahead. Heather nodded.

Finally, the rehearsal ended and I would have some time left to get myself ready for the meetup with Wyatt and the rest of the band. My phone made a noise when I almost finished eating some noodles dad left for me. Wyatt texted me that they arrived so I ate the last bites before I headed down to the studio.

»CJ« Wyatt exclaimed joyfully when he realized me. The Band stood in the lobby and waited for me as Greg would not open the door to the studio without dad or me.

»So you took my place« a man I had never seen before spoke to me.

»You're Toby« I determined and smiled at him.

»I'm still a bit handicapped but I wanted to be here so bad« He said and raised his arm, which was still in a cast.

»Do you know how long it will take for you to recover?« I asked when we walked to the recording room. Dad said he would join us in some minutes so we could use the time to chat.

»Some weeks I guess. The doctor is optimistic because I'm doing good so far« He answered.

»I hope you don't hate me for stepping in or think that I messed everything up you worked for« I expressed my concerns. Toby just started laughing.

»I'm rather thankful that you saved us. Surely, we could have delayed the recording and the release until I recovered but we did not know how long it would take and your fans were waiting« He explained and took place on the couch dad placed there some weeks ago. I could not stop me from smiling until Wyatt handed me a stack of paper. I took it and sat down next to Toby.

»Wow« I just said when I imagined the sound in my head.

»What do you think?« Wyatt asked diffidently what made me smile.

»In my head it sounds amazing. I'm curious about the reality. Lets start« I told him and stood up again. Dad just entered the room so we had the perfect timing.

He greeted the band members one after another until he took place on his seat in front of the tuning table.

»We have to practice a bit before we can start recording« Xavier said to my dad who started laughing.

»I know. Ain't I allowed to get ready as well?« dad replied. Xavier's face went red.

»I'm sorry« Xavier stuttered before he entered the recording room to unpack his guitar.

While the band members got ready, Wyatt and Toby sat on the couch and talked to dad. I sat down behind the drums to practice my part a bit while Paul, Jamie and Xavier tuned their instruments.

It took some attempts to sound good but everyone in here was still in a good mood. One thing I had to admit after recording the instrumental part of the song: The sound was harder than the usual sound of White Errants. That surprised me and I planned on asking Wyatt about this. I did not think that it was bad, I liked it, but it was different.

»I thought about Wyatt and CJ singing together. It's a whole other vibe than singing separately« Dad suggested.

»Let's try« I admitted. Wyatt also agreed so we entered the recording room. I was not sure that I was able to do good. I always recorded my vocals alone so I closed my eyes and breathed in and out deeply.

»Are you okay?« Wyatt asked surprisedly and laid his hand on my shoulder. I winced and nodded.

»Just nervous« I admitted. He smiled benevolently.

»I am nervous too, every single time we record« He said. His words made me relax so we started our first try. I tried to sing as powerful as I could.

In some parts of the song it was like we were almost screaming at each other but that was fitting perfectly to the topic the song was about.