Chapter 19

I sat down at the studio on the piano and strummed on it. I had a melody in my head I wanted to play so I tried to figure out the right tones. I played to myself for some time and hummed a bit to it.

Never before I had written a song on my own and now I was so inspired I just did it.

I had the full song in my mind so I stood up from the piano and got over to the drums. I tried some different beats until I found the one fitting to my imagination.

On that point I did not know why I was that creative. Either it was because of the experience with Dylan some days ago or because of the time. It was 2 am, dad was asleep for hours but I could not sleep with that thoughts in my head so I went down to the studio in my sleeping wear.

Some hours later I finally was tired and I also finished a whole song, even if it was in pieces at that point. I saved that snippets on my laptop before I got upstairs. I found dad in the kitchen with his cup of coffee we drank daily in the morning.

»Good morning, Dad« I said and wiped away the tears that came out of my eyes due to tiredness.

»Where have you been?« He asked and put down his cup.

»Downstairs« I murmured and now rubbed over my face.

»All night?« He asked further and seemed even more surprised about my appearance.

»I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs. I'll go to bed now« I replied before I disappeared into my room.

I fell onto my bed and fell asleep without even pulling my blanket over my body.

When I woke up several hours later I got a shower firstly. Meanwhile, loud music played in my room so I could sing along even in the shower.

With still wet hair and dressed in gray joggers and a tight black top I sat down on my desk. I opened my laptop and started to cut together the song I had in mind for days. The text was about that relationship I had and more of a hate track than anything else. Even the style was harder than in some of the previous songs I recorded.

When I finished I sent the rough draft to Josy so she could give her opinion. She was probably at work so it will take longer to answer.

'Dance, Dance' by Fall Out Boy started playing. I leaned back in my chair and started to sing along. Only when the song was over did I got my phone out of the pocket and opened Instagram.

Dad and I decided that we would release the new album tonight so I posted a photo Dad did during the recoding once with the release date in the caption.

Josy finally replied me so I went to the chat with her. 'Where is that song from?' I smiled. 'I wrote it myself' I was so proud of that fact and even she seemed like she was.

Excitedly I stood up and went downstairs with my laptop in my hands. I searched for Dad and found him sitting on the mixing table while recording a man I had never seen before singing.

I stayed silent and smiled at the man who seemingly just finished.

»Short break« Dad said and turned around to me.

»What's going on, hun?« He asked.

»May you give your opinion on this?« I asked and reached out my laptop to him. He pointed at the table behind him so I put it there and opened it.

In his chair he rolled to me and plugged in his headphones to my laptop. He listened to the song silently while I was dying of agitation inside.

»Did Josy write this?« He asked but I just shook my head.

»I did« I replied. He nodded and obviously suppressed his proud grin.

»Send it to me and I revise it for you. Do you want it to be on the album?« My eyes widened.

»You can still add this to the album?« I asked. He started laughing and nodded.

»Sorry for the interruption« I said directed to the band. The singer just smiled at me.

Excitedly I send dad the data and let him alone with his clients.

'I changed the cover. I think the title of the song you wrote is even more fitting for the album' Josy texted me and attached the new cover she designed for me. I thanked her several times for her effort before I sent the album cover to dad too.

I swiveled in my desk chair until I felt nauseous. I was so excited for the release I was not able to sit still.

To distract me I started cooking something laborious for dinner. Hopefully dad could close down today in time so we could eat together. I set the table when I heard his steps on the stairs. He entered the kitchen and started smiling.

»You cooked« He determined and sat down at the table.

»I'm so excited for the release that I needed something to do« I admitted. He laughed.

I put the last bowl with food on the table and sat down too.

»I hope you enjoy it« I said and started eating.

»I revised the song. You can listen to it if you want to« He told me.

»Thank you, dad« I admitted. He looked up from his plate.

»You're my daughter and everything I have left from your mother. I will do everything to make you happy and to support you on your way« He told me and brushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

»I am so proud of you« He added.

I went outside on the terrace. The house I lived in was build on a hill so the terrace was accessible from the second floor. It was big and even contained a swimming pool . I sat down at the table standing there before I lit up a cigarette.

Dad and I had the deal since I started smoking. He would not try to force me to quit and I would only smoke outside. I started when I was dating Dylan back then. We got together when I was 16 and he was 20. The relationship just lasted for six months. The only thing I did not try during that were drugs. I promised dad and I kept my promises.

The fact that the relationship already ended three years ago were also why I was so surprised of his message. Why did he think of getting back together after three years without any contact?

It was 11:50pm already when I had a look at my phone. My hands were shaking.

Because of my nervousness I smoked another cigarette. Dad was inside in the living room and watched tv. He had set the release of my first album automatically on midnight.

I scrolled through my instagram feed and liked some pictures my favorite artists had posted. I planned on posting a story at midnight.

An alarm rang I had set to remind me at midnight. I opened Spotify just to see that the album was released. I could not stop myself from smiling so I switched back to Instagram and opened the camera.

»Hey guys, my first album named 'Hunting Season is open' is out now. Check it out, it's available on every common music streaming platform. I hope your expectations will even be exceeded«