Chapter 28 Mission Time

-Airmed-

People gathered around downstairs eating and chatting. I noticed that Megumi wasn't among them. I guess she went to check on Chisake. As I was finishing my toast and tea I felt a person behind me.

As I turned to see who it was I was greeted by the pale, flakey-skinned Shiggarki. "So....hero,  let's see what you're capable of." I tilt my head slightly as I swallowed the last of my tea.

"Okay." My voice scratched out but ended in a squeak. I saw him fold his arms like he was unimpressed by me. My mind wandered into thinking 'don't be a coward. Be like......Dabi?' he was the only thing that would come up in my thoughts. I could feel my eyes shift slightly as if I was looking past Shiggarki to peek at him.

There he sat in a booth with his phone in one hand scrolling and a cigarette in the other. I saw him shift and realized I must be caught. I quickly turned back to Shiggarki and gave him the best smug look I could make. "Alright boss lay it on me." My voice tried to be smooth but it came out more forced than I attended it to be.

I saw his eyes open slightly and then he let out a small chuckle. His red beady eyes focused on me hard before he leaned closer to me.

Sitting on the stool I was maybe already eye level with him so it didn't take much for him to be eye to eye with me. "Alright hero, here's the deal." His voice was stern and straight to the point. "Look I know you play as a healer and all but I need you to be a rouge right now."  He shifted back to his heels and blinked hard before he kept going. "We are running short on food supply as well as drinks."

I knew where this was going. He will want me to steal everything. Why can't I just buy it? But then I just realized I can't afford to feed 8 plus people. Hell, I couldn't even afford to feed myself. But this is my ticket. This is my ticket to being part of the group.

I nodded my head and then jumped up off my seat. "Okay. What all do you need?" I asked. Shiggy handed me a list of items on crumbled paper. When I opened it, it was covered in stains and what looked like dust all over it. When I looked it over it was pretty generic, can goods, meats, rubbing alcohol for wounds.

This wasn't gonna be an easy task, I had never stolen anything before in my life but I couldn't let him know that. I looked back up at him and nodded. "You got it." I took a step away before I felt him grab my arm.

I turned and look at him, confused about what he wanted now. "No help." He growled. He dropped my arm and walked away. At first, I wasn't gonna ask for help and now I really can't even ask. This is complete bullshit if you ask me but rules are rules, right?

I walked upstairs and headed to the door that leads to the outside. I grabbed a backpack on the way out and finally opened the door. It was poor down rain, even the sound of thunder gave a rumble.

I let out a big sigh and felt like I scream out "oh you got to be kidding me!" Before I just pushed myself outside. Within an instant, I was soaked to the bone from the rain.

But I was a girl on a mission. I had to get food for the place. So onward I pushed to some blurry light, hoping it was a gas station in the distance.

When I got there was beyond just soaked

When I got there was beyond just soaked. My finger was pruney and I was shaking from the cold. The glass door slid open followed by a chime to let the clerk I was entering.

A man was sitting behind the desk reading some book and didn't even bother to look up at me. To me, that was plain rude but it didn't matter the less attention I brought them the less trouble I would have done this. 

I grabbed a little handbasket and started looking around. I made my way to the canning aisle and found something like canned chicken and beans. I quickly started to fill up my basket and moved on to first aid. Shoving bandages into the basket it started to become heavy.

I was starting to get slower with it because of the weight that the clerk started to notice that I was shoving more and more items into the basket. It was getting to the point things were starting to fall out of it.

"Mama. Do you need another basket?" I stop and froze. I felt like I was a deer in headlights.

"Fuck what do I do? What do I do?!" I was mumbling trying to think of a plan. I could get everything needed but it came down to getting it out as the problem. I made it so heavy that I couldn't run with it. I didn't have any money so what am I supposed to do?

I looked up at the clerk and shook my head and smiled. "No thank you." My voice squeezed out the most pathetic excuse of a lie. I saw jump hop off his stool and started walking toward me.

My eyes widen. "Fucking shit balls!" I was starting to panic. As he got closer I smelt smoke, as did he. We both looked around and we found one of the fryers was on fire. In a panic, he ran to it while I ran with the basket.

Things fell out and he turned around and saw I was making a break for it. "Stop!" He shouted but I didn't. I drag that bracket with me as can flew everywhere as I ran out the door.

With rain still pouring I have soaked once again. Never a dull moment in my life apparently and it was about to get better. There were flashing red and blue lights coming this way.