Chapter 4

A/N Writing in italics is sign language

Louis blew his whistle, Rory barely running up to the ball before he had to stop him, "buddy if you run off at that angle again you're gonna twist your ankle. C'mon, let's not forget the small stuff."

The 14 year old muttered to himself as he backed up and got in position again to restart. He knew his dad was watching him like a hawk and since they started he's been knit picking tiny things.

Rory let out a deep breath as his eyes set on the goal, keeping his focus on the left hand corner where the ball needed to go. And as he ran up to the ball his father's eyes were trained on him, but he was relieved he did exactly what he needed to and got a happy thumbs up from his dad.

"Great job buddy, perfect curve," Louis smiled at him before glancing over his shoulder to the house, "where's your brother? He has a few things to work on before the game."

"Probably still doing homework," Rory said before jogging to get the ball from the goal, "he's been having a hard time with History and we have a paper due, plus a test in Maths."

"Well did you study and get the paper done?"

"I'll study after dinner but papers done," Rory said before setting back up.

Louis let out a small breath as he looked to the house again, "keep practicing your shooting, I'm gonna check on him."

He made his way inside, smiling at Charlie as he walked through the living room before heading for the stairs and to Rory's room.

Louis knocked on the door, barely able to hear the grumbled "come in" that came from the other side.

"Hey mate, you alright?" he asked, seeing Cameron with his fingers clutched in his hair and slumped over his desk.

"Oh, just great," Cameron muttered without taking his eyes off his laptop.

Louis walked further in and closed the door behind him, "is there anything I can do to help?"

"Wanna age back 30 years and play for me in the game this weekend?" Cameron huffed as he threw himself back against his chair.

"You don't want to play?" Louis furrowed his eyebrows.

Cameron bit his lip, unable to pick his head up to look at his dad, "I'm just stressed and there's a lot riding on this game, I -" he cut himself off as he rubbed a hand over his face.

"Well if you need help with school you know pop and I are always here," Louis said softly, it being clear just how worked up he was, "and I can help you with this paper and we can still get a few practice shots in."

"I don't wanna practice dad," Cameron said just loud enough for him to hear as he shook his head.

"Yeah but if you practice then you'll feel better about the game and-"

"Dad I'm not practicing tonight," the 14 year old stopped him, finally meeting his eyes, "just let me focus on this."

As much as Louis wanted to protest he knew this was one of those moments he couldn't push him. He can already hear Harry telling him that school always comes first, but there was that small part of him that wanted his son to prepare for his upcoming game. Louis knew better though, after all these years with his husband he knew how to avoid a fight.

"Well if you need help with the paper or you want me to read it over let me know," Louis offered him a small smile, having to do everything in his power to walk out of the room and leave the football conversation alone.