Chapter 14 - Before

No one has had you like I did
I don't need the truth, baby
So lie, lie again
No one has had you like I did
I don't need the truth, baby, no

~ Lie again, Giveon

_____________________________

Before ~ 22 years old

Sleeping was like a trap as memories of her time with Alex clawed away at her  while the rest of the house slept but Ava knew a familiar sheltering face would be wide awake as well. Some part of her wished Roman was home. There was something about the way her brother could be chaotic when she needed him most, he would make her forget. But as she rose up, she knew that Lucas would give comfort to her rattled state.

Ava dragged herself out of bed taking herself downstairs where she found her brother laying on the couch lazily. Predictably there was a bottle of brandy on the table in front of him. It wasn't open. For the past couples of months her brother had been depressed, her mother thought it was a difficult case he was dealing but Ava knew Lucas could separate his personal life from business. This had a woman written all over it.

Ava reached for the bottle that her brother seemed to be happily watching and poured a glass.

"What do you think you are doing?" He asked, snatching the glass out of her hands.

"Doing something better than just staring at the bottle?" Ava challenged with her brow raised.

Lucas didn't intend on drinking but to stop his little sister drinking he swallowed the contents of the glass quickly.

"Do you want dad to kill me?"

"I drink you know," Ava sighed taking a seat opposite him.

"Not with me you are not drinking."

The Tv was stuck on the news. Lucas lived his life so often in the news helping prove someone's innocence that he wasn't interested at all in the news.

"Do you have a girlfriend these days?"

Lucas scoffed. "When would I have the time to date?"

Ava laid back on the couch thinking about her brother's question. "You have a secretary or the opposing lawyer?"

"It would be a conflict of interest."

"Think of all the tension..."

Lucas kicked the head of the couch that she was sitting on before Ava could say another word. Ava laughed. She had been teasing and by the small smile on her brother's lips, he knew it too.

"You and Alex got worse since the last time I was here."

Alex.

He was the last person that she wanted to talk about. Ava cleared her throat."We grew up. We follow different crowds." Even as she said that, her voice was weak.

"It's more than growing up. You hardly look at each other and until he left you wouldn't even eat."

"I'm trying to lose weight," Ava said playfully. It was not like the articles and blogs written about Rick James', former NASCAR Racer and business man, only daughter did not make her into trendsetter. There had been so many articles about the diets she followed that Ava had not even heard of. Her life was such a cliché at times, it was sad.