CHAPTER 16 - OLD FRIENDS

I sit in the countertop, my legs crossed on the surface as I stab my fork into my strawberry tart, bringing it to my mouth. "Mm," I hum as the vanilla cream, soft pastry and glazed strawberries all melt in my mouth.

"Wow Sarah," says Draco as he takes a bite too.

"It's amazing right?" I ask with a smile and his eyes widen. "Amazing? It's the best thing I've ever tasted."

"Thank you," I chuckle as I take another bite. "I was worried they wouldn't turn out as nice, it's been ages since me and my mum made them."

He nods, "No, honestly they're perfect."

We carry on eating in silence, until my thoughts start to get the better off me and I grow curious about today. Lucius clearly wanted to impress these guests, so much so he shouted at Milly for not being able to make a dessert. And I didn't even know who it was that was that we were apparently having dinner with later.

"Hey Draco?"

"Yeah?"

"Who's coming to dinner tonight?" I ask curiously and he looks up to meet my eye, blinking slowly as he thinks about what to say.

"My father's old friends," he says and he goes back to eating his tart. I want to ask more but I don't, in case I come off as annoying.

After a few seconds though, he puts down his fork, leaning back against the countertop opposite me. "I don't understand something though," he says and I look up in interest.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well," he sighs. "All I can't remember is when I was young, they used to come around a lot."

"Who did?" I put down my fork.

"Charlie and Louise Grey," he says. "Charlie's father was very close to my grandfather Abraxas, and when they both passed away, I guess my father and Charlie grew very close."

I listen carefully, trying to understand it all.

"But after a few years, when I was around 7, they stopped coming over to the manor and I haven't seen them since." He shrugs and I frown.

"So... if Lucius and Charlie were close, then why hasn't he seen him for the past 8 years?"

"I don't know," Draco says, picking up his fork again and finishing his dessert. "That's what I've been thinking."

I stay silent after that, not really bothered anymore as Milly rushes in, a small apron tied at her waist. "Miss Sarah, I-"

She stops abruptly when she sees us, and I stare at her as I eat my tart. "Yes?" I ask, and she stares back in shock.

"I was just coming to prepare the tarts, but you have finished already?" She says in disbelief and I laugh.

"Of course we have Milly, there's an hour to go till dinner you never would have made them on time."

She sighs in relief, a big grin on her face. "Thank you ever so much, Miss."

I smirk, "Anytime Milly."

"Excuse me? I helped too," Draco says in annoyance and we laugh at him.

"And thank you too, young master."

* * *

I put in my last earrings, smiling in the mirror as I smooth out my dress. I loved this outfit, and I somehow felt pretty today.

I laugh as Binx comes over to meow lovingly, purring as he rubs up against my leg, making me smile.

It was like ever since me and Draco had sorted things, I already felt a massive weight had lifted off my shoulders. It was just Lucius I had to deal with now.