CHAPTER 53 - GHOST OF OUR LOVE

Blinding white lights.

The muffled cry of a baby.

Pain. Everywhere.

My eyes open with one sudden movement as I blink, adjusting to the bright lighting. I stay still, the recent events slowly catching up to me.

The hospital room, Theo, Silas...

I sit up quickly, realising the danger we had all been in. I look down to my stomach, pressing lightly where my wound was inflicted.

I press again.

No pain? Had Lucius found a way to heal it?

Of course he did - I should have been dead by now.

I shake my head, becoming familiar with my surroundings. I was back in my bedroom at the manor, and everything was just the way it was when I left it.

I smile softly, standing and looking around.

It's odd - I never remembered it being so bright in here.

The light was almost blinding.

Or maybe it was just the soreness of my head.

"Binx?" I gasp in delight as my cat strolls through the room, leaping up onto my bed and nestling in the sheets. I pet his head with a smile and he looks up sharply, staring at me with his big green eyes, not moving an inch.

I frown, wondering why he was acting so weird when I hear a noise downstairs, making me turn towards my door.

I listen carefully, the familiar swinging of the front door sounding like music to my ears.

Lucius.

I rush out of my room and down the stairs as quick as I can, as he steps through the door, Silas in his arms.

I stop before him, about to leap forward when something inside me twists.

He stares down at the floor, his expression torn as tears well up in his eyes. I stare at him in confusion, watching as Milly rushes to him, taking Silas from his arms and ushering over another house elf to take our baby upstairs.

"Master..." she squeaks, her voice breaking. "Miss Sarah..?"

I frown, utterly confused.

Did she not realise I was right behind her?

I look at Lucius, watching as he breathes in sharply, a tear slipping down his cheek.

"She didn't make it, Milly."

His voice is pained, breaking with every syllable.

"I'm so sorry."

Milly stays silent, before a heartbreaking sob racks through her body and she stumbles back, her back hitting the wall.

My eyes widen. My heart stops. I can feel the goosebumps on my arms rise.

I didn't make it?

No...

I shake my head, calling out to him.

"Lucius?"

I reach out, my hand brushing his and he looks down at the contact, his lip quivering before he falls to the ground on his knees, his head in his hands.

And he cries.

He stays rooted to the floor for hours, crying and crying. And I don't leave his side the whole time. Instead, I sit beside him, my arms around him as I cry too.

But I know he can't hear me.