Chapter 4

Waking to the smell of fresh bread, Leia climbed out of the warmth of the bed. Luke was fast asleep, still clutching the book he was reading when she had returned for the evening. So, lighting the small lamp, she stepped into a pair of slippers and pulled a dressing gown around her. The quiet voices were coming from the small private kitchen.

Looking up as she entire, Master Maja Skou and the Twi'lek women, who she now knew to be Kaider's mother, greeted her with a smile. "I'm sorry if we woke you."

"No, I think my stomach is feeling the pangs of hunger," Leia replied as she placed the lamp on the table.

Stepping back and pulling the heavy drapes aside, Maja looked at the stars. "You might want to get ready. We'll be leaving at sunrise."

~~~

It had been a long time since I had worn the vestments of The Jedi Order. However, this trek to the Ancient Temple was not as a Priestess of the Fellowship of The Children of Ashla, this was Jedi business. Unlike the young Luke Skywalker, my robes were long, more suited to the day of the High Republic. They were once my mother's, probably even older. But just wearing these garments, I felt the mantle of the order fall onto my shoulders. It wasnt as if I had been avoiding the responsibility I had taken. I had vowed to uphold the values and customs of being a Jedi Knight, then Master. May the Force be with me. I prayed silently. Be with me.

As Luke and Leia prepared for the trek, I ushered my former Master into the parsonage. "I wanted to speak before I left."

"What is it?" Master Rena asked as she sat across from me.

Taking a moment to formulate my words, I looked to Rena. "I want you and Tori to come with us to Chandrilla."

Master Zahava Rena knew what this was about. Brauta has wanted the same. "Be careful that this request isn't about your attachments."

"It is, and you know that. The New Republic can help you take the pain away. But, I will understand if you refuse. Remember, you share the same pain that Kaider lives with; your presence may give her comfort, not just me." I added as I stood. "We will be back tomorrow evening. Tell Brauta she is to take my place in the Temple Service tonight."

Gently standing, Master Rena gave a bow. "Of course." She said with an understated smile. They say that there is no more sacred bond than Master and apprentice. Even as I aged, and she seemingly didn't, I saw her as far more as a mother and wisened sage than just a friend.

~~~

Zahava didnt want to go. Yet, at the same time, the thought of just one day without constant pain was a pleasing prospect to the Sephi Jedi Master. Closing her eyes, she called out to the Force for strength. She had made up her mind.

"Good," Master Brauta replied as she drank her morning caff. "They might be able to help, and besides, you can give a truthful account of the Jedi Purge."

"I only wish Bail were still alive to ..." Her mind went to Zett. She had spent so long not knowing, hoping that her padawan had somehow escaped, even if deep down she knew it to be naive. The pain of that loss was still there. "If I'm going, Tori will come with me. So she will witness this."

As Brauta stood, she looked into Zahava's eyes. "Za, if you're seeking my blessing, I give it."

~~~

The evensong service had already started by the time our group arrived. The old city of Knossos was as beautiful as I had said it was, and the music from the Temple, there was something about it that was so nostalgic. I tried to be as quiet as possible, but Kaider had felt my presence, just as I could handle.