Chapter 25

The next day, the Legislative assembly was busier than usual. The press covered the vote prominently that day. Either a life sentence to public service and assumed imprisonment or death. It sounded so extreme that many struggled even to comprehend it. Well, it seemed that there was more news; diplomatic Immunity would cover Reva as a member of the Miziri Clergy and diplomatic assembly. I sighed in relief as I read that, as Reva's circumstances were very different, yet I still felt a pang of worry for Kaider.

As we sang morning prayers and meditated, I opened my eyes to her, looking into mine with determination. "I'm okay, you know that, right?"

"I do," I replied.

"I won't be returning to Kheb either," she said with a level of finality that rattled me. Because, of course not, I somehow forgot that fact. Her lekku somehow made a gesture that I had learnt was comforting. "Whatever happens is the will of the force."

Before I reply, a knock on the door interrupted our thoughts. "Sorry to disturb you," Tori remarked as they stood dressed in their Jedi Temple robes. "The shuttle has arrived; Sir Solo has just left to greet them."

I smiled at Tori's formality. "Thank you, Tori." With a bow, they were off. Turning to Kaider, who was now smiling. "I guess you already know."

"Thank you," Kaider replied as she stood.

I felt it was only fitting that Master Brauter Fjalka bring Kaider's mother to see the Tribunals ruling in person, to give her a chance to say goodbye. Mistress Nella Wai'wing, a senior clergy member, was like a second mother to me. Kaider and I being so similar in age, would spend time in each other's homes; I grew up watching her bake for our village and the sacraments. I also remember the years of not knowing what had become of her daughter, her constant prayer and devotion to the force, hoping it would bring her home. Now that same look was in Kaider's eyes.

"When you look at me, do you always see your mother's death?" Kaider asked as she looked into my eyes. 

This question caught me off, guard. I didnt even have a reply prepared. "I did once," I managed to say. "It happens less often now."

She was sitting on the chair. Looking up, her lekku seemed to droop. "I don't want to die." She says.

"Well, that makes me smile," I replied wide. "You seemed so resigned last night."

"I've had a whole night of thinking and meditating. I've also had Tori talking my lekku off about the city and its many inhabitants. I'm beginning to think we (and I'm sure she meant we, the Jedi) shouldn't stay in the shadows and help wherever we can."

As the caff machine signalled, I poured some for us. "Well, let's have hope; that is where the force leads us," I say as I lifted my cup with levity.

~~~

As Tori and Rena waded through the crowds at the Spaceport, Rena's excitement grew. She had missed waking up to Brauta's caff and their evening sabbac games. But, most of all, she missed Brauta. The sight was certainly something to behold. Dressed in her formal temple Jedi robes with her hair braided and pinned in her Alderannian way. Mistress Wai'wing, equally as well dressed in her deep purple Priestess robes, represented the Fellowship of The Children of Ashla. Her headpiece was ornate and intricately cast.

In public, Rena greeted Brauta with a bow. Tori, however, couldn't hide their excitement as they ran in for a hug. "We missed you so much."

Holding Tori tight, Brauta smiled. "I did too." Then, looking up at Rena, her smile grew. "How are you?"