Prologue

I remember reading the sage's tombs in the archival library as a child. One that stuck in my mind was written by an ancient Jedi sage Amkept Sett. It spoke of flowers teaching seeds, passing the wisdom from generation to generation.

"Meditation is more than just forging a deeper connection to the Force. It is about gaining a deeper understanding of ourselves." I remember my mother, Jedi Master Yrsa Skou, saying as she sat across from me and her padawan. "It is a means of obtaining a greater understanding of our thoughts and emotions. Peace, serenity, harmony. We must master ourselves before we can hope to master the Force."

My eyes were closed; I looked for peace, serenity, and harmony. But my mind was busy, so opening my eyes ever the slightest, I caught a quick and cheeky glance at Kaidar. She had always been a more committed student. So, first, her hands lay open, palm up on her knees as she meditated. Then, finally, she opened an eye and gave me a small sly smile, sensing my glance.

Those were fond memories that I meditate on. I have always tried to glean the wisdom of my elders. They bring peace, serenity, and harmony back to my mind. Yet, flashes of things I would rather forget also appear. I remember that night.

I had felt pride at surviving a fight with a sith lord. But I had also seen Kaider plunge her red inquisitor lightsabre into my mother's chest in a fit of rage. I questioned whether my pide had blinded me from helping. Had the Force willed this? I also saw the regret in Kaider's eyes and heard shame in her voice. What have I done?

How aware is she? I had asked as I stood at my mother's bedside. 

She knows.

I remember how my mother reached for my hand. This will be – your great-est trail. My mother had said, finding it hard to breathe. Re-mem-ber. She added with a weak and clammy hand on my forehead, as if she was giving me one last lesson. Remember – what - I've - taught you.

I will, I promise. I replied as I held my mother's hand tight in my own. 

Give her - a - a chance. My mother asked as she looked into my eyes, knowing my feelings of anger.

Looking down, I agreed. I will.

Tell- your father...

I will. I added before Yrsa could go on.

Feeling a tear fall down her cheek from memory, I renew my vow to the Force. "I am with the Force, and the Force is with me. I will do what I must to keep the balance. The balance is what keeps me together. There is no light without darkness, but darkness must not be allowed to flourish. There is serenity, yet peace, chaos, yet order. I am the wielder of the flame, protector and guardian of balance. I am the holder of the torch, lighting the way." In a moment of quiet and calm, I breathe. But it isn't long before I am wanted.

"Mistress Skou?"

Opening my eyes, I see one of the younglings standing at the gate. "What is it, little one?"

"A man is here to see you," the little girl said with another deep bow. "And a woman, they came in a Republic ship."

It had been years since the end of the Galactic Civil war. Although Kheb was an out-of-the-way planet on the edge of Wild Space, we did have access to the news. I had watched, along with almost everyone on Kheb, the signing of the Galactic Concordance. I also knew the time would come when the young Jedi would visit us.

Stepping out of the temple as Jedi Master Maja Skou, I saw who the youngling had referred to. "Greetings," I said with a slight bow of my head. "Welcome to Kheb."