thirty-eight

now playing

now playing..

"Golden Brown"
-Cage The Elephant

February 15th, 2013
12:45pm

You remembered the first time you hung out with Tim alone. His aura is that of a rather bittersweet one, a cigarette almost always in his hand.

The two of you had went out to scout for abandoned buildings in the woods for the hell of it, coming by an old relic stuck in the patches of time.

The bridge was once beautiful, you noted. Paired with a picturesque blue sky, it would look good as a cover photo, but one could only hope. All that's left are the arches of steel, the sterile white glaring at those who dare to pass.

"Oh Brian would love this." You remarked, a smile making its way to your face. Tim snorted, the thoughts of his best friend being here.

"He'd probably do some daredevil shit the moment he sees this thing."

Every step you take echoes, the tapping  reminiscent of a ticking time bomb. Your feet weave through an imaginary crowd, taking swift flight over the sheets of metal, a nimble dance of remembrance.

"This kinda reminds me of that one scene in stand by me." Tim said, his feet clanking against the steel. "The one where they almost die from the train?"

"Yeah, that one."

You and Tim both weren't much of talkers when it was just the two of you. It's not that you weren't close, or didn't have anything to talk about, just that you two liked the silence. Something Brian wasn't a fan of.

You gaze at the arches as you reach their main structural beam. A rusted sign proclaims the use of anti-climb paint. You scoff at the sight of the crumbling coat of white, the faults revealing patches of brown and grey. Besides, the arches are climbable.

"You must be having a field day right now." Tim let out a laugh, his jacket rustling as the wind blows past the two of you.

"Oh believe me, I love this." Your eyes took notice of the overgrown moss and weeds that inhabited throughout the bridge. Mother Nature's taking her property back.

"Do you think we'll ever actually get to show Brian this place?" You asked, eyes meeting Tim's.

"Maybe, maybe not. I think he would like it, though." Tim's words were true, Brian would love it.

"Hey, you're zoning out pretty hard."

"What?" Your eyes met Tim's as he handed you a menu. "What do ya' want to eat?"

"Oh, shit, my bad. Just like, a coffee and a waffle or something."

"Alrighty," he flipped through the menu before pausing. His voice switched to that of a lower tone. "Do you remember anything at all of the past few months?" It was almost a whisper, though you picked it up just fine.

"No, I can't say I do." Your voice matched his tone, eyes redirecting back to the menu before setting it back down on the table.

"Waffle House is an interesting restaurant choice after having severe amnesia, don't you think?" You joked, receiving a snort from Tim. A small smile formed on his face as he set his menu down.

"What's the next move?" He asked.

"Well, I think for starters, I should probably go check with my landlord to see if I'm evicted yet or not." Your half joke was right on time for the waitress to bring over the coffees, the small clank of the glasses on the table accompanying the bitter smell.

    "Are you guys ready to order?" The waitress pulled up her notepad and pen, looking between the two of you. Though, your eyes landed on a different figure that had just entered the restaurant.

"Charlie?"