Chapter 16

I reached home, ofcourse I wasn't worried. Ofcourse. I kept telling myself. As soon as I entered, " how's Dad" I asked my sister in law. She was normal, calm. That means things are fine. Aren't they?
" Even I don't knoe the details, he's in the ICU, last I got informed that he's shifted in the ICU cz something is wrong with his internal organs. I don't know exactly. Your Bro didn't gave me much details. But he's coming home soon. You can then yourself ask him " she said. She was not that worried. I went to my room to change when I heard the keys, and I ran towards the front door. Bhaiya entered, as expected. He looked tired. I glanced him with so many questions in my eyes, but said nothing. " Have you packed the dinner? " he asked his wife. She got up and handed the packed hot box to him. She asked about Dad, and he said " the doctor has asked for a few tests, he would be coming for his round of check up soon, then we will knoe exactly what's the matter. Until then Mom and I are staying there, they need a male member so I need to stay too. You both stay at home and take care of Arush " he glanced at me and his wife who was nodding understandingly.
" Bhaiya I wana come to see Dad " I said. My voice came out surprisingly shaky. " Ofcourse you are coming with me " he declared. I breathed a sigh. I don't know why, I felt like I should urgently go see Dad.
" I will drop her within an hour. Until then don't open the door for anyone, stay safe, tc." he told his wife and kissed her forehead. With that we left for the hospital.

Mom was standing in the corridor, staring blankly out of the window. I went to her and gave her dinner, she refused to have it. Grandmother was whining about how these doctors are fake and only want money. And it is just fever which could easily be gone with her tea. Apparently doctors have refused to feed anything to Dad, and that's why she was mad. She continued about how a mother's love is all that will make Dad fine. I moved away from them, towards the ICU.
" Bhaiya I want to go in " I said impatiently.
" are you sure? Only one person can go in at a time.. " he informed me.
" Ofcourse I m, I came all the way just to see him " I said.
" well ok then, go ahead " he held the door open for me.
I went in. A nurse was sitting at a side eating grapes. I stared her with hatred. My Dad was lying there, so weak, so helpless, and she was eating grapes! Heartless woman. I entered further. There he was, on bed. So many wires were attach to his hands, throat, nose. It was only fever, last I saw. What's all this? He was breathing heavily. The sound of his breath echoing in the quiet room. Which was uncomfortably cold. I did not like the sight in front of me. I did not liked it at all. " Dad " I whispered slowly, knowing that he anyways isn't listening to me. I moved my shaking fingers to touch his weak ones. He was shirtless, various kind of wires on his chest too. It was a painful sight. A very painful one. My eyes started watering. " Papa, I love you papa" I whispered as tears continuously flowed from my eyes. I wiped them off and left the room. I could not see him like this at all. At all. I went to Mom, she looked at me concerned. " don't worry, it's nothing he's gonna be fine for sure " she assured. I wanted to believe her, but I could not. Something inside me told me that I should hug him right now, and tell him what he means to me. My false hopes and smile was gone. Now was the time that I knew, that maybe I should have told him in all the 18 years that I was with him, that I loved him. No matter how he was, I loved our small chats and arguments. I loved the way he troubled me. I loved the way he talked about Mom. I loved the way he used to share. For all the moments he asked me to share tea, although I don't like to drink tea, he used to make me drink it with him, and I used to love it. For all the times, I kept fast, he used to eat in front of me my favourite dishes, to annoy me. And I loved him for that. I loved him. And he should know it. The first thing he opens his eyes, am gonna tell him I love him. I will not drag it anymore. He just has to wake up.
I saw the doctor come, and rushed to hear what he was saying to Bro.
" he is suffering internal pain, his kidney has failed " the doctor was telling. It can't actually be possible, he was laughing with us this morning. He was fine. He never drank alcohol or smoked. He cannot suffer internal pain, he cannot. I just knew he cannot.
My brother was just nodding with understanding or respect, I really don't know. What broke my trance were his next words " is it serious? "
He asked with trembling lips.
" Ofcourse it is. I am afraid, there are chances, that he won't survive" the doctor said casually as if he was declining the offer of coffee, and moved away. That was the moment when I knew that I hated this hospital, the doctors, the nurses, with every inch of my body and every ounce of my blood.