2

Jungkook takes the man's hand as he pulls him back to his feet.

"I'm Kim Namjoon," he says, the smallest of smiles on his dimpled face.

"Jeon Jungkook," he says as he catches his breath, pushing his hair out of his face.

"I'm Hoseok," the other guard says, waving at Jungkook before motioning Namjoon over towards Kennedy's unconscious body. "We'll put her back."

As Hoseok and Namjoon pick Kennedy up and move her back towards her cell, Jungkook realizes something.

"Mr. Kim," he says and Seokjin turns towards him as he puts his walkie talkie back.

"Call me Jin," he says, smiling as he walks over and puts a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. "Did she hurt you?"

Jungkook shakes his head. "Just some scratches. Sir - I mean, Jin - the way you reacted to her getting out of her cell almost seemed like it happened before... more than once."

Jin sighs before motioning for Jungkook to follow him to the office in the center of the room. "I guess I'd better fill you in on everything."

Jungkook gulps, almost feeling as though he's better off not knowing.

"If you're serious about being here," Jin continues as they sit down in a couple of chairs situated in the small office, "you should know about them and why they're here. It will help you understand what to expect from them."

"Especially because what just happened is a normal occurrence," Namjoon says as he and Hoseok walk into the office, closing and locking the door behind them and taking seats as well.

"Like... how often?" Jungkook asks, and the other three sigh collectively.

"Too often," Jin says, shaking his head. "No matter what we do, she figures out how to unlock her door. We have no idea how and she sure as hell won't tell us."

"Do the others escape often too?" Jungkook asks, gulping at the idea of trying to have to stop the man who nearly broke his hand punching the door just because he could.

"It's only her," Hoseok explains.

"Her name is Kennedy Carter," Jin starts. "You are the guard in charge of watching her."

Jungkook's eyes widen "Me?"

He thinks about the four prisoners: the sleeping man who drew pictures with his own blood, the muscle man who seemed more than willing to break his own bones to send a message, the man who did nothing but wink at Jungkook and that alone sent shivers down his spine... then there's Kennedy.

He's not necessarily fond of the idea of guarding any of them. If he had any other choice aside from this or sleeping in a tent again, he would've run from this place the second he laid eyes on those blood drawings.

"Yes, you," Jin continues. "Each of us is in charge of one of the prisoners. When we are on a break, or we need sleep, we each have a few guards we are in charge of as well that take over for us to watch the prisoners."

Jungkook sighs. "Tell me everything I need to know. I don't want to go into this blind."

The three other men smile encouragingly at Jungkook before Namjoon and Hoseok stand up.

"We'll go keep an eye on things while Jin fills you in," Namjoon says. "The other guards are capable, barely, but no one but us could stand to be near them for very long. That's why we are the ones in charge."

"See ya later, kid," Hoseok says, patting Jungkook on the shoulder before he and Namjoon exit the office to check on the prisoners.

As the door closes behind Hoseok, Jin leans back in his chair, rocking it a few times and biting a pen as if he's trying to think of what to say. Finally, he throws the pen on the desk beside him and leans forward with his elbows on his knees.