35

Jungkook's head snaps to the direction of the sound, eyes widening when he sees Kennedy fall, blood seeping through her shirt and onto the floor.

The breath leaves his lungs as his own pain is forgotten; all he can focus on is Kennedy's eyes looking at him as strangled breaths escape her lips. Jungkook begins to move without even thinking. He drags his ruined leg behind him as he crawls over to her, grabbing a handful of her clothing and ignoring how their blood is mixing together on the floor beneath them. With stubborn focus, he wraps his arm around her upper torso and pulls with every ounce of strength he has.

He glances around wildly, watching the madness playing out around him without seeing, not caring about anything other than getting the girl in his grasp to safety. His eyes land on the office and he grits his teeth in determination as he pulls her again, blinking away his tears as he hears Kennedy groaning in pain.

Again and again, ignoring his own pain and blood loss, he drags Kennedy as he crawls toward the door to the office, desperate to get her out of harm's way.

He finally reaches the opening to the office and yells out in pain and anger as he grabs the door frame and pulls himself up into the small room, immediately turning so he can pull Kennedy in behind him before he slams the door shut.

He props Kennedy up against the wall before leaving her to drag himself over to the table, using every ounce of muscle he can manage as he pushes it against the closed door to barricade themselves inside the office. The coffee pot he'd spent so many mornings clinging to tumbles, shattering against the floor.

With the door blocked as well as he can manage, Jungkook moves back to Kennedy, her unsteady breathing heavy and labored. He slides himself against the wall, grabbing his leg and straightening it before pulling her up into his lap, holding her against him as her head rests on his chest. Her breaths are terrifyingly close to wheezes, but he tries to push past what he knows to be true.

"Kennedy," Jungkook says through his tears, "you're okay."

Kennedy attempts a deep breath, but it's shuddering and unsteady. Tears fill her own eyes as she looks up at Jungkook. "We both know I'm not."

Jungkook shakes his head, forcing a smile on his face that is stained with the tears he can't hold inside. He brushes her hair out of her face with trembling fingers, staring down at her as he continues to comb through her hair.

"Don't talk, okay? We'll just stay in here until this is all over and then we'll get you to a hospital."

Kennedy tries to take another deep breath, but she coughs, spraying blood on her sleeve. Blood continues to trickle from her lips as she moves a hand to rest against the side of Jungkook's face. "I could've loved you, you know."

A sob escapes from Jungkook's throat as he holds Kennedy tighter, his hand pressing against her bullet wound to try to slow the bleeding. "Please don't do this."

"I think," Kennedy says in a weak voice, ignoring Jungkook's comment as her breaths become more uneven and ragged, her hand falling away from his face, "I think in a different life, we would've been meant to be."

Jungkook's chin quivers as he presses a kiss to Kennedy's forehead, pulling her closer against his chest as her breaths turn to gasps.

"We would be so in love," Jungkook says through his sobs, his fingers clenching her hair as he presses his other hand against her wound, though he's beginning to realize it's too little, too late. "We would have a happy ending together, just you and me."

Kennedy looks up at Jungkook, her hand coming to rest against his cheek again as she leans up with what little strength she has left. "I'm the villain, Jungkook. Villains don't get happy endings."