38

"How did you know we were in trouble?" Namjoon asks his father as they watch the dwindling chaos surrounding them.

"I got an alert on my computer that an override code had been entered to disable all of the doors," Mr. Kim explains. "I came here as fast as I could, but I couldn't get here fast enough."

Namjoon sighs as he glances toward Jin, who is speaking to a police officer that just entered the scene.

"All that matters is that you got here," Namjoon says in a low tone. "Thank you."

Mr. Kim turns to Namjoon. "Namjoon, I..."

Namjoon finally turns to look at his father, and he sends him a small, dimpled smile. "I know, dad. Me too."

~

Taehyung eventually gets up and walks a few paces away to collect himself. Jungkook finally lets them treat his leg after Hoseok and Jimin are treated. They cut his pants leg to get to the bullet wound and he decides not to watch them as they work to stop the bleeding until he can be taken to a hospital.

He knows the damage has been done. He knows he won't ever be the same after what happened in that prison.

In more ways than one.

"It's ironic," Jin says as he walks up to Jungkook and sits down next to him. "I was shot in nearly the same spot back when I was a cop."

Jungkook nods silently, his eyes drifting around at the clouds in the early morning sky. His tears have long dried, and he is now in a state of numbness.

He wonders if it's the heartbreak, the adrenaline leaving his system or even the blood loss, but his eyelids feel heavy and he can't get himself to think coherently anymore.

So he just nods as Jin speaks to him.

He hears Jin sigh, and he manages to look over at his superior to see him looking at Jungkook, studying his passive gaze.

"You really cared for her," Jin says quietly, sympathy crossing his features as he takes in the sight of his co-worker.

Jungkook slowly moves his gaze back to the sky, wincing slightly as he feels the gauze being wrapped around his bare leg.

"Even if I answer that, it won't change anything. How I feel about her is better left unsaid."

~

Taehyung wanders over toward Jimin, who is cradling his arm in a makeshift sling while sitting next to the still unconscious Yoongi.

He sits down, glancing at Jimin for a moment before his gaze wanders between the bustling people around the three, paramedics and police officers alike running around trying to contain the situation.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Jimin says in a hoarse voice as he keeps his gaze on anything but Taehyung. "I know in your own way, you cared for her."

Taehyung clenches his jaw, his hands curling into fists as he stands up, trying desperately to ignore the small splatter of blood that had gotten on him from Kennedy being shot so close to him.

Before he can say anything, three police officers run to the three prisoners with guns in their hands.

"Don't move!" one of them yells as the three officers pull handcuffs from their belts. "You've had time to be treated and now you need to be properly restrained."

Jimin glances down at Yoongi, seeing him blissfully unaware of the situation due to the tranquilizer running through his system, and Jimin feels a bit better knowing he doesn't have to be caught up in this situation.

Taehyung and Jimin stay where they are, Jimin sitting next to Yoongi as Taehyung stands next to them.

"You touch them and I'll beat all of your asses," Jin's voice booms as he limps over to the prisoners and puts himself between the prisoners and the officers, not caring about the three guns now pointed at him.

Everyone's eyes fall on Jungkook's hunched, limping form as he moves to stand next to Jin, his jaw clenched and his eyes hard as he stares at the officers. "They saved our lives. They can have a few more minutes of freedom. It's the least we can do for what they did for us."

A cough sounds from the nearby ambulance and a barely conscious Hoseok waves from the back of it as the paramedics load him up. "I agree with them, and I'd stand between you assholes and those three if I could."

Hongjoong and Wooyoung jog over, not saying anything as they stand with the guards, crossing their arms over their chests and glaring at the police officers.

Namjoon and his father walk up, and Namjoon joins in the barricade keeping the prisoners protected as Namjoon's dad glares at the police officers.

"I know you're doing your job, but these three men risked their lives to save my son and the other guards. I realize they're still criminals, but they deserve some respect for them putting their lives on the line when they didn't have to."

Taehyung clears his throat. "You're right."

Everyone turns to look at him, and he shrugs. "We are still criminals and they are just doing their job. It's okay. We all know what we did in the past, and nothing we did this morning can absolve us of our crimes. We're still the same people we were twelve hours ago."

Jimin nods as he moves to stand up. "Thank you for your kindness, all of you, but Taehyung's right."

Jin sighs, turning to face them. "Thank you. For everything you did to help us."

Taehyung and Jimin share a glance before turning to the people in front of them.

"Whether I like it or not, I've grown to realize you're not the worst person in the world," Taehyung says, looking at Jin. "You remind me of my brother, actually."

~

Jungkook limps over to a wall, letting himself lean against the structure for support as Jin walks back over.

"I can't stay here," Jungkook says as soon as Jin stops in front of him.

Jin sends Jungkook a small smile. "I know."

"I just can't be here anymore. Not after what happened in that office," Jungkook says in a quiet tone, shaking his head.

"What will you do?" Jin asks, crossing his arms over his chest. "You'll end up on the streets again if you can't find a job, and you'll be limited on your options with that leg."

"I'm sure I can find something for him to do," Mr. Kim interjects as he walks up to the two. "It's the least I can do to thank him for everything he did to help."

"You don't have to do that," Jungkook says, shaking his head and Mr. Kim holds his hand up.

"Everyone who walked out of that place this morning walked out a hero. I refuse to let a hero wither away on the streets."