CHAPTER 28

Nathaniel's POV

I finished packing the things I needed for the vacation, and at the same time, I'm also preparing myself for the plan.

Alam ko naman simula una palang. Hindi ko maiwasang makonsensya at ma-guilty. In the first place, I was hesitant about this pero mas pinili ko pa ring manahimik at hayaan ang parents kong magdecide sa mga mangyayari.

Before, they told me that Diana is a candidate for being my fiancee. Of course, like I told Diana that night, I was happy. It was just a crush, then eventually, it develop to love. The more I've known her, the more I've fallen deeper. Yet...

Napabuntong hininga na lang ako. Still, I have no regrets telling Diana the truth. It's kinda late, pero ang importante, nalaman niya ang totoo.

They purposefully wanted to held the civil wedding in Italy, so that Diana couldn't runaway. It's a cruel thing to do to Diana. Kahit ayaw ko man ang bagay na iyon, hindi rin ako makapagsalita. Right now, it's crushing me that I held my mouth that long. I only hurt Diana in the process.

"I tried to make you happy with me...I even hope that you will eventually develop feelings for me before you can even have knowledge about the marriage...but I was wrong. Because somebody already owns your heart..."

"It's just a futile attempt to make you mine, Diana...and I'm sorry because I was selfish."

"I'm sorry. I planned to tell you, but I just... don't know where to start, of how will I explain it to you. I know you'll freak out. The very last thing I want is to hurt you...and yet, I did."

"It sucks," I mumbled.

I lay down on my bed as I'm still reminiscing that night. Still questioning everything. Still having what ifs.

What if Diana fell in love with me? Papayag kaya siya sa kasal? Papayag ba siyang makasama ako?

I clenched my hand into fist. What a useless thought.

"Three days," I mumbled into the thin air. Three days nalang ay schedule na ng flight namin. Sarili ko lang ang lolokohin ko kung sasabihin kong hindi ako kinakabahan sa mangyayari, lalo na't isang malaking desisyon ang gagawin ko.

I shook my head. Pumunta ako sa garden area para magpahangin, at para na rin makahinga man lang ako. I saw the bench, the very bench were Diana and I have our very first conversation. I smiled as I remember it. It's such a bittersweet memory. Naupo ako roon at tumingala lang sa langit. Pinagmamasdan ang kalangitaan na wala ni isa mang bituin na matatagpuan.

The train of thoughts I have only stopped when I noticed something. There were noises inside. So, I got up and decided to take a peek of what's happening.

Nakita ko sila Mom and Dad na nag-uusap. They seemed irritated, kaya lumapit ako para sana tanungin kung anong problema. Pero hindi pa ko ganoon nakakalapit nang magsalita si Dad.

"Diana is missing. What are we going to do now? Mr. Aldan said he's sure Diana runaway."

Para akong binuhusan ng malamig na tubig. Diana...runaway? Why? Didn't we talk about this? Didn't I...I said I'm going to fix this, right? Why did she put herself in that kind of situation? What if something bad happens to her while she's outside?

I shook my head at that thought. No, I shouldn't be thinking this. The best course of action right now is to find Diana.

Tinignan kong muli sina Mom and Dad na seryosong nag-uusap. If...if this is already going in this direction anyway, might as well do my best to stop this.

Humugot muna ako ng lakas ng loob bago sila lapitan. "Mom, Dad," tawag ko sa kanila na agad naman nilang napansin.

"Yes, Nat? What is it?" Mom asked.

"Did you hear us talking about Diana?" Dad interrogate.

I nodded. "Don't worry, Nat. We're doing our best to find her. Regarding your union with her, it's-"

"Mom, Dad. I think, we should stop this thing...the wedding."

They gone silent for a long time. I clenched my hands. Kung hindi ko 'to sasabihin, natatakot akong baka mas lalo pang lumala ang sitwasyon kung ipagpipilitan pa namin.

"Can we just stop this already? I mean, p'wede naman tayong mag-invest without doing the wedding, right? Afterall, we needed it the most, and it's also beneficial for them...the investment." Hindi ko na alam kung naiintindihan pa ba nila ang sinasabi ko. Pakiramdam ko, hindi ko nabubuo nang maayos ang gusto kong sabihin. Regardless, I really wanted to put a stop to this.

"Nat, I understand your concern. We did," Mom said.

"Truthfully, Mr. and Mrs. Aldan were the ones who wanted the wedding between the two of you, son. It was set long time ago, even before the talk about the investment. We also thought that Diana is the best candidate for you to marry. We wanted her to be your wife, so we agreed," Dad explained.

T-Then...the wedding is not part of the condition? Naguguluhan na rin ako sa nangyayari. Kung hindi rin naman siya part ng condition, bakit kailangang ipilit pa? Is it because they wanted to get on their good side so that they agreed with the investment?

I really don't understand anything.

"Nat, you and Diana are meant to be engaged in the first place. We just agreed to speed it up as her parents' requested."

Deep down inside me, I also wanted Diana to be my wedded wife. To be with me. But...how could I shackle the one I love?

"I know you're worried about Diana. Don't worry, Nat. We will help in finding her, and probably have a talk with Mr. and Mrs. Aldan about the other union."

I nodded my head to them. "Alright. I will also try to help find her."

"Thank you, Nat. You should go rest," Mom said.

I dragged myself back to my room. "Diana" I called her name. Napahilamos nalang ako sa mga nangyayari.

I'm worried. But, at the same time, I also wanted Diana to be free. I know the reason why she chose to runaway. She did that for freedom.

I tried to contact her but to no avail, she definitely turn her phone off. I sighed.

"Where are you, Diana?" I whispered into the air.

I hope you're safe...

...and happy.