Today

Bdubs wiggled from side to side in a half dance as he cooked his scrambled eggs. For the first time in quite a while, he woke up with his alarm and had time to make breakfast before work. Even his many plants seemed to be standing just a little bit taller. Today was going to be a really good day.

"Breaking news!"

Bdubs scowled as the words interrupted his grove. It was never 'Breaking News' and it was always something that could wait until later.

"Break in at Pacific Central Bank by infamous villain, The Mangler. Several hostages are being kept inside. Stay tuned for updates regarding this shocking event."

"Dang it!"

Perhaps today was not going to be a good day. Realizing his eggs were burning, Bdubs scraped them into a cup and rushed out the door. Good thing he was already dressed. Forgetting the elevator, he barrelled down the stairs while gulping down his eggs.

"Hey!"

Bdubs pushed past a man turning the corner, and felt bad because he didn't have time to slow down and apologize.

"Sorry!" He called back, already out the front door of the apartment complex. The last of his eggs were gulped down and the cup was tossed into the trash. Small slaps from his shoes on the pavement let Bdubs keep track of his pace. He really needed to exercise more.

It wasn't long before he made it to the bank, even at his pitiful pace. He ducked into an alleyway, made sure no one could see him, and pulled down his bandana. After getting the small cut out holes positioned over his eyes, he blinked. Two chocolate irises turned blinding white.

Bdubs ran into the bank, the officers out front even stepping aside when he made it to the front doors. Not like they could stop him anyway. And not like the Mangler would get caught without him.

"Go get 'em, LuxShield." One officer cheered quietly as he rushed in.

The bank was eerily quiet. Especially for one being robbed. Bdubs slowed, now taking careful and precise steps. He nearly screamed when his foot kicked something. When he looked down, he saw a person lying on the floor. Quickly dropping down and checking her pulse, Bdubs let out a forced breath. She was alive.

With a quick glance, Bdubs could see many more people unconscious on the floor. Before he could go find the Mangler, he would have to deal with this. Fortunately, Wels was a reasonable police captain and had taught his precinct well. The officers did as he instructed, moving quickly and quietly throughout the bank lobby.

Once Bdubs was satisfied knowing Wels had taken control, he moved further into the bank, his shoes squeaking softly on the polished marble floor. He didn't fear being heard, however, because loud crashes were coming from the vault.

"-and you tell you little friend LuxShield that I'll be back soon." The voice was sly and smart, sounding as if a smirk was perpetually on the lips of the one who spoke it. Definitely The Mangler.

Bdubs clenched his fist and a ball of energy gathered around it. One swift toss later, and the orb crashed into the villain.

"Why don't you tell me yourself, coward."

The villain grinned at Bdubs' words, turning to face the hero.

"I'm sorry LuxShield," the Mangler said mockingly, "I was just leaving."

"Absolutely not."

The villain raised his hand, but Bdubs was already attacking. The young hero sent another energy orb at the Mangler's human chet and barreled into him. The villain rolled over and pushed his hand outward. Bdubs went flying up to the ceiling, a light fixture poking sharply into his shoulder. He fell, and barely had the time to summon a forcefield to break his fall.