Help

The sky was not quite dark yet when a loud bang shook the building.

Stress knew this would happen, but the blast still frightened her quite a bit.

Hels and Xanthus explained everything, all the way up to why Bdubs and Doc weren't at the compound. Canem was coming, and soon. She could only hope they could delay the villain long enough for Doc and Bdubs to escape.

Stress sighed. She wasn't sure exactly when she started calling The Mangler by his real name. She knew now the boy in her dreams was him, and had figured it out even before he had the accident that took his arm and half his face. That dream had been the worst one so far, full of pain and fear and an overwhelming amount of loneliness. And as much as Stress hated to admit it, Bdubs might be helping Doc more than she knew. In the end, Bdubs trusted him. And that's all Stress needed to trust him too.

So when Hels told her the most dangerous villain in the world was coming to the compound in search of Bdubs, Stress already knew what she was going to do. After all, her powers could slow down the villain, hopefully enough for Hels or Xanthus or Cleo to do something. What they were going to do, Stress didn't know, but she trusted them enough to have a plan. Or at least something they can stab with when everything goes wrong.

And everything did go wrong. Immediately. When Canem tried to blow up the compound, it went into lockdown. Every door, every exit, was closed and locked. Deadbolted, to be exact. No way out. No way in. In theory.

In reality, all it meant was that Stress was stuck in a compound with a homicidal maniac just outside. And the only one who could possibly unlock the doors was who knows how far away. So when the door to the room Stress was in started unlocking, she panicked. She dove behind a desk and held her breath as the door opened slowly.

"Hello, love."

She could feel her heart drop when she heard his voice.

"I know you're in here. I saw you on the cameras."

Stress hissed through her teeth.

"You're not even trying to hide anymore."

"Why would I? I'm tired of your games." She stood up. "And either way, we both know who has the power here."

"Do you really think it's you?"

Stress smiled. "Of course. And you know it just as well as I."

"Where are they?"

"Not here."

"I'm not going to ask again."

"Good. Because I don't know."

Canem growled. "Of course not. And the others?"

"They don't know either."

"Then call them."

"They left their phones."

"Then you're useless to me."

Stress smiled. "Not quite."

"Explain."

"I know what you need."

"Sure you do."

"The nightmares? I know how to get rid of them."

Canem froze. "How do you know about that?"

"I've seen into your mind, luv. I know about a lot of things." She took a step towards Canem, and then another. "Let me help you."

Canem nodded, his single eye turned to the floor. Stress closed the gap between them, setting a hand on Canem's. What she wasn't expecting was for Canem to grab her hand and yank her closer to him harshly. "I've seen into your mind too, love. And I know you'd do anything for that boy." He threw her to the ground before she could create another connection. "I won't kill you, not yet. Because I know you're telling the truth when you say you can help me. But you will never stop protecting that hero until he's dead at my feet."