Night

Bdubs sat under a small canopy of trees on the side of the mountain. The base was under him, buried below the ground. It was safe, but Bdubs felt trapped under all those layers of earth. Perhaps that's why he snuck out. Well, snuck out wasn't quite the right term. Doc had been really protective of him. For some reason, Hels and Xanthus were too. After the latest incident, the pair were firmly resolved to stay as long as Bdubs was in danger. So, as long as Canem ran rampant. The only other one there was Etho. And didn't care at all, but would obey Doc's requests with no delay. Bdubs wasn't sure if that scared him more or less with the knowledge that he was a demon bound to Doc through a contract. Either way, the bunker was stifling. So here he was. Sitting under the trees, listening to the hum of cicadas, watching the city in the distance.

It was pretty at night, all lit up. But something about it saddened him. Perhaps it was the fact it kept moving, even without him there to protect him. Some may have cared about his disappearance, but they were few and far between. Even the news had moved on to some other scandal of the week. The city looked no different without him.

He leaned back and layed down on the cool grass. A little ways above the city skyline were a few stars sprinkled across the deep purple sky. Bdubs had never noticed the stars when he was in the city. Perhaps they couldn't be seen with so much light. Or perhaps everything was always moving so fast that he never had the time to notice. But they were prettier than Bdubs remembered from pictures. Diamonds scattered across the sky. He reached out his hand slightly up to them before bringing it back down. A sigh escaped his lips.

"I know you're there, Doc."

The villain didn't say anything, but merely sat down beside Bdubs. After a couple moments, he spoke. "How'd you know?"

Bdubs chuckled softly. "My powers are based on energy. Everyone has a different, let's say, electrical fingerprint. I can recognise some. Not many, but some."

"And mine is one of them?"

"Of course. How else was I supposed to distinguish you from the good guys."

"You're saying I'm not a good guy?" Doc asked incredulously.

"Literally a villain, Doc." Bdubs said as he stood up.

"Doesn't mean I'm not good. I'm good at a lot of things."

"Yeah. Mhm. Ack-" Doc pushed him lightly against a tree and put his other hand beside Bdubs head so he was leaning over the hero. He had almost forgotten just how tall the villain was, towering over Bdubs easily. "Doc? What are you doing?"

Doc leaned in close. "Showing you just how good I can be."

"What does that ev- mmph?" Bdubs' words were cut off by Doc's lips on his. He leaned into the kiss, letting himself be sucked into the vortex of passion. After a couple moments, or maybe minutes, Bdubs didn't know, Doc leaned back slightly.

"Your heart is beating really fast."

Bdubs looked up at the villain. "I wonder why."

Doc smiled. "I wonder."

Bdubs giggled. "C'mere." But Doc leaned back.

"Not until you admit I'm a good guy."

"Never."

"Your loss." He took his hand from beside the tree and crossed his arms. "Guess now you'll never get to know what I had planned for you."

Bdubs tried and immediately failed to curb his curiosity. "You planned something for me?"