Twenty

It had been 2 weeks since you started staying at the Baker's again. You and Lucas had agreed not to avoid eachother as you tried to figure out what this was. You had a feeling you knew, but you were afraid of the possibility of being right.

The family had become accustomed to you being there. It was strange - the attention and kindness. It was foreign to you, but you began to get used to it.

Each day, you would spend your time helping Marguerite around the house - a small way to repay their kindness - and each night you would spend with Lucas.

Most mornings he would be gone, but occasionally you would wake to find him holding you. That was one of the few times he looked relaxed.

Throughout the day he would look bitter, annoyed too. The only time he was happy was when he was working on his projects, whatever they were. You were still debating whether he was happy with you or not.

One morning, you had walked into the living room, sitting with Zoe on the couch watching TV. After a while, Marguerite walked in and chuckled. You looked back as she said "Seems like you've gotten comfortable around ere."

"I would hope so," Jack said as he walked in, sitting at the table. "She's been ere a while. Hell, she practically lives ere."

You didn't know why, but the idea of living there worried, yet intrigued you.

You just stared at the TV for a moment before Jack said, "I'm going ta head into town today. Zoe, ya wanna come?"

"Yeah," she said. "Can (Y/N) come, if she wants that is."

You looked at her before shaking your head. "Sure. It'll give me a chance to see the town a bit."

Jack stood up, saying "Good! Ima be leaving in a few minutes. Just gotta go get Lucas."

You were surprised, so was Zoe. She said "Lucas, why?"

"Cause he's gonna help me get some things fer the car."

Zoe seemed upset that Lucas was coming, but you didn't mind - until you got in the car.

Jack and Zoe were in the front while you and Lucas were in the back. There were things in the back and on the seat, so you were sitting quite close to eachother.

You tried to ignore how close together you were by looking at the window, but you failed miserably when he put his hand on your knee. You looked at him and then at Zoe, who had a clear line of sight to you two if she turned her head.

Lucas chuckled silently before looking out the other window. You returned your gaze to your window, hoping no one would see his hand.