Chapter 12

Grandma believed she had been too hard on her grandson.  She knew the truth must have come as a shock to him.  Why was she the one to be the bearer of bad news?

         Celeste had called and chewed her out.  Nathan had not taken the news well and was now indulging in homemade brownies.  She was furious.  How could grandma have let it go this far?

        "Calm down, Celeste.  Nathan needed to know the family heritage. How else is he to take over should something happen to your parents?"

        "Grandma, I know he is younger than me.  As the main heir, can not you cut him some slack?"

        "Granddaughter, I will do my best. In the meantime, I suggest you try to understand it from my perspective. I did try to reason with your parents,  but they would hear none of it."

       "Oh, I did not realize the burden you carried, grandma."

       "It is a heavy one given to me by your parents for years. One I intend to fix things with once and for all."

         Grandma had attempted to get through to Nathan after her conversation with Celeste. She got no response from him. She assumed this meant he was still sore at her.   

         She frowned.  Her apology would have to wait. Meanwhile, she contacted her son and his wife. She let them know all that transpired. She mentioned her and Celeste's worry for Nathan.

        She felt as if the news went in one ear and out the other.

        "Look, if the market crashes, we will hurry home right away."

        "Son, you and your wife should be ashamed of your childish behavior!  Why the way you treat Nathan, it is almost as if you are mire strangers to him."

        "Do not tell us how to raise our son."

       "Mother, apologize to my wife right now. She is in tears over what you said. Also, tell Nathan to find some other source for his grievances. He cannot expect brownies to solve everything. "

        "If you would listen, you would understand how serious the situation is right now for him."

        "Momma, I do not believe his immature reaction to the news will serve him well. Now, do not hed him any mind, and things will turn out just grand."

         His grandma raised her fist to the air. She felt her son and his daughter had a lot of nerve giving her trouble when it was their fault she was in this mess in the first place. Her grandson refused to speak to her.  She only had Celeste's word that he was taking it badly.

          "I  suppose it is up to me to fix it. "

           "Where do I start?"

    the story continues in chapter 13

     until then, bye-bye, little owlets!

  Summer out!