Chapter 2

Falling into the truth

At midnight

"Mom, I'm home" you spoke as you got rid of your shoes.

Just as you said so, you heard a quick sound of steps approaching each second, until your mom appeared from the doorframe of the kitchen and ran towards you.

She grabbed your shoulders and shook you.

"Where the HECK have you been?! I've been worrying as hell! I thought that you would have returned at like, 10:00 pm, NOT AT THIS LATE HOUR!!" she yelled, scolding you.

"Gosh, I'm fine mother...plus I'm an adult now, I can go in and out as I please, can't I?"

Your mother hesitated for just a second with her mouth slightly open, but then she furrowed her eyebrows more. She was definitely angry.

"Not until you live with me" she said, increasing the strenght in her hands as she held your shoulders.

"God damn mom, I'm not a kid anymore..." you said as you removed yourself from her grasp and went in the kitchen, followed by her surprised gaze and bewildered expression: you never actually rised up against her authority. Never.

You sat down and breathed, trying to clear out your mind. It was an...interesting evening after all.

You held your forehead with one of your fists, and you thought again about what had happened that night: two thiefs wanted to steal your tiara (and probably all the jewelry you had) but they were stopped in their intent because someone had protected you and, well, killed them, and then a figure with magenta eyes appears and leaves without saying a word. Maybe it was them that protected you. But why would they leave? Oh right, that fire was probably a Burnish's. The same people that Kray used to take part of humanity to Omega Centauri.

Your mother entered in the kitchen with a worried and guilty look and slowly sat down in front of you.

"...did you at least have fun?" she asked.

"Huh? Come again?" you replied. What was she referring to?

"The party. Did you have fun?"

...fuck. I didn't attend it, you thought.

You were sure that if you told her that you didn't go to the party but instead walked around, almost happened to be robbed and then saved by a Burnish she would have locked you in your room for eternity.

You started thinking again about what happened after you were saved by the mysterious person.

And just like that, you ran away, and were alone once again, with two dead burning thiefs behind the corner. The smell of burnt meat was intoxicating.

You wanted at least to find the person with magenta eyes: what if they were in trouble too? Or...what if they were actually the one that saved you?

You walked around the neighbourhood, trying to catch the slightest glimpse of a pink glow: those eyes were majestic. It was incredible how they could glow in the dark.

In the end, you walked throughout all of New Promepolis, but there weren't traces of the person with magenta eyes: could it have been an hallucination? No, you were still clear headed in that moment, and there was totally someone there, watching the scene as the two thiefs burned.

There was silence as you walked, but it didn't last forever: as you reached an extreme part of the city, you found what looked like an abandoned house with two floors. Broken ceiling, badly painted walls, and a garden that didn't seem looked after. It looked awful.