Chapter 16

Her

Lio's POV

The first time I saw her was after the Great Disaster.

She descended the spaceship and looked around herself, something that everyone did before. What differed her from the other people was the look in her eyes. She was hiding it, but I could see it. Pure hate. Rage. There was an evil aura all around her, and no one, apart from me, could see it.

Not gonna lie, her eyes also had something...familiar.

But did I have time focusing on her eyes? Of course not, because right in that moment I started feeling physical pain. Not only I was hurt, but I was feeling a new type of pain. A pain I couldn't erase.

Burn.

Burn stronger.

We want to burn!

It was if someone repeatedly stabbed my stomach and my head. Not only that, but as the pain increased, so did the amount of voices in my head. The voice of my Promare.

The weird thing was that I could hear multiple voices, voices that didn't belong to what I had in my chest.

The only thing I could do was let the fire envelop my body to heal my body.

A year later

Brighter, stronger!

Fire...!

Burn everything you find!

The voices had increased more and more over the year. And it's only going to get worse. I'm actually surprised by the fact that I resisted this whole year, as my body started burning more and more.

Ì was also slowly returning to my berserk mode.

To mantain myself I found an abandoned house: probably what remained of the old houses before Kray decided to build new comfortable ones for those 10.000 humans.

Burn him down to ashes

Ashes...!

The voices also became more noisy.

To survive and eat I had to steal there and then in supermarkets. I felt no regret for it, it was something I did even on Earth, when I was leader of Mad Burnish. Survive, adapt, overcome.

That was what I was doing when I met her again.

She was walking on the dark road, all alone. She was wearing a red dress that shined in the darkess, white heels, gloves and a beautiful crown on her head.

She looked stunning. I recognised her immediately: she had the same eyes I saw back then, the day of the Great Disaster.

I admit it, I stopped by and observed her as she walked, ignoring the voices that repeatedly told me to burn.

I didn't notice my rising heartbeat.

I was about to go away when I noticed two things: the first one was that she was on guard, as if she sensed something dangerous nearby. The second, that she was absolutely right to be on guard. Two guys were following her. They followed her and one of them advanced in front of her in the darkness.

Thiefs.

As if she predicted what was about to happen, she spoke.

"You know I heard you already?" she said with a confident tone.