Chapter 21

Earth

Galo's POV

One year before...

Things could be a lot worse.

Oh that's right, I'm falling to my death.

The ground was crumbling right beneath my feet when Lio tried to reach me, and as I realised what was about to happen, I started falling.

I was falling to my death.

I watched the spaceship Kray created gradually but rapidly fly away to the warp engine created in the air. Can't believe that, once that spaceship goes through the portal, the Earth will explode.

I closed my eyes to welcome my close death: guess this firefighting soul of mine has done its duty, hasn't it?

But just when I thought that I was now at peace, I suddenly hit something on my back, causing my back to arch in pain.

It seems that I wasn't falling for a long time, otherwise I would have...splattered all across the surface. Ew, disgusting.

"What the hell?!" I said

"Galo! Can you hear me?" a feminine voice said.

Aina.

I looked down and realised that I fell on Aina's red plane.

"Aina...? Weren't you with the others?" I asked.

"I was, but did you seriously think that I would let you fall and die?!" she exclaimed as she scolded me and opened the roof to let me enter in the back of the plane, where she carries people that have survived a blaze.

As I stepped inside, I realised that I was going to die eventually.

"Aina...the Earth is going to explode once the spaceship goes through the roof. You could have just let me go"

Through the microphone I could hear her slightly gasp.

"So what if it will explode?! I can't believe you're letting down so easily, Galo. And even if it explodes, I won't let you die alone"

I felt astonished by her words.

"Aina, you're not afraid of dying?" I asked.

I felt a hint of hesitation before she could answer.

"...I actually am" she said calmly, even though she was clearly concealing her nervousness "but, if I am with a friend, then I have the strenght to go against everything, even death"

I could see from the open roof the spaceship now going through the portal.

"What about you, Galo? Aren't you afraid of death?" she asked, bringing me back to reality.

"What?! Of course not, I, Galo Thymos, only fear that fire may conquer Earth!" I said trying to bring back a light mood.

I heard her slightly giggle nervously.

"Yeah well...we're about to be enveloped by fire"

But we won't feel anything, we both thought.

The spaceship had gone through the portal, and I closed my eyes, waiting for everything to end.

But nothing happened.

I opened my eyes, waiting for the slightest thing to happen.

But nothing happened again.

I scratched my eyes: was I living a dream? Or was I simply already in the afterlife?