Chapter 7

The Great Disaster

Lio was suffering.

He was tremendously in pain.

But his mind was totally absent.

How did he end up in that condition?

Oh, that's right, he was being used by Kray as living fuel to bring 10.000 humans to Omega Centauri, the planet with similar living conditions.

Did those people know that if they were carried to another planet was because he and other poor, innocent beings were being used as fuel only because they were able to create fire?

He couldn't feel his arms anymore, and the moment after neither his legs.

Was he dying? Was he transforming into ashes?

If I'm dying...then I won't suffer again, will I?

He was surrendering. He was surrendering to death.

But suddenly, he felt life flow again into his body: a pink glow came from his chest, it was his Promare answering to the call of his own flame. It was telling him to wake up.

He suddenly acquired again the use of his arms and legs, and he slowly opened his eyes.

He was in a dark place and his eyes had to get used to the darkness: he looked up and saw Galo with a convinced, or rather reassured look.

"Galo...?"

"You made it Lio"

"...did you save me?"

The blue-haired firefighter grinned, but his smile disappeared immediately after that.

He looked rather shocked.

"Darn! Because of you I had to lit up my first fire!" Galo said waving his arms around, and he could have hit Lio with a fist if the green-haired guy didn't stop him.

"Then let us-" Lio said, about to tell him about what his plan and what he heard from his Promare, but they both heard noises coming from when Galo had punched Kray before.

He was standing up. And he had a bloody look in his eyes.

"You've blocked me for the last. DAMN. TIME." he told Galo.

"Oh c'mon, you really can't just let it go, can you?!" Galo said as he left Lio and approached Kray to fight him more.

Did he already forget that Kray was a Burnish?

"Galo, stay back!" Lio said trying to warn him: instead of fighting Kray, he would have proceeded with his plan ti save the Earth. But Galo was strong-headed about fighting Kray once again. But how could they? They were two against one, but it was quite literally as if Galo and Lio were only one person against Kray: they were too weak for him.

Galo approached Kray, trying to punch him again, but the blond man dodged it and with his artificial arm he threw a fireball towards the firefighter, and it would have hit him if Lio didn't throw it one in front of Galo to block Kray's.

"Oh, you're still alive, Lio Fotia! What a shame, if you just died you wouldn't have to see your friend's death!"

"Who says I'm gonna die?!" Galo protested as if Kray really didn't mean it. Did he even understand the seriousness of the situation?!

Lio groaned as he quickly reached Galo by his side.

"There you are Lio. Let's beat his ass one last time" Galo said with a smile looking at his friend.

But before Lio could reply, a fireball reached Galo under the green-haired boy's shocked look: Kray hit him when he wasn't looking!

Galo was slammed across the spaceship's engine wall, or what it should have been technically. The impact with the wall created a lot of smoke and Lio couldn't see through it.

"Galo!" he said calling for him.

"Where are you running, it's your turn now!" Kray yelled as he attacked once more. He stretched out his arm and fire came out of his hand: Lio learnt the lesson before, never, never directly attack Kray with fire, because it wouldn't have done anything. He had to think with his own mind instead of simply attacking.

In the end Kray attacked and attacked more and more, and Lio had to dodge each time. At some point, something shockingly blinding happened: Kray and Lio both charged their fire at each other without stopping, and the fire eventually collided and became one: fire that was fed by those two men.

Kray looked like he had an idea at that point, as a devilish grin had just appeared on his face: he directed the fire he and Lio were nourishing towards the ground, causing it to start shattering.

The ground started trembling beneath Lio's feet, and he was still too weak to search for Galo and put them in a safe place.

Kray suddenly extracted a walkie-talkie from his pocket and started talking to it.

"Biar, how is the fuel condition?!"

Lio heard a feminine voice telling him that everything was ready for the departure despite all those incidents, and as Kray received this news his smile only grew, and at the same time Lio's despair increased.

The spaceship was setting off.

"Farewell, Lio Fotia!" he said as he jumped off and disappeared, probably directing towards the cockpit.

He needed to stop him, or else the Earth would have shattered!

"Lio, let's follow him!" a voice suddenly said.

Lio turned around and saw Galo in the other side of the room holding his bleeding head.

He tried to reach him when something happened: the crumbling ground split into two, and Galo fell down in the empty space beneath them.

It was like a slowmotion timelapse for Lio: he slowly saw Galo realise what was happening and then fall into the deep.

He was about to jump and save his friend when a rock falling from the ceiling hit him, causing him to faint and never open his eyes again for what looked like a long time.

And when he opened his eyes, he never would have thought that he was still alive.

If he was alive, that meant that he was on Omega Centauri.

How the hell did he survive without oxygen though? Oh right, the warp engines...it wasn't a normal journey from Earth to space, he obviously wouldn't need oxygen.

And if he was on Omega Centauri, that meant that everyone had died on the Earth.

He never felt so terrified in his life before.

_______

Lio woke up in the middle of the night with a yell still captured in his throat: he kept dreaming that same thing all over again, every damn night for a year by now. If something was driving him to madness, then it was also probably that.

He went to the bathroom, in front of the broken mirror he had thrown a fist to. He hated seeing his partially dark-purple reflection.

No sign of a new dark purple spot. He checked his arms, his legs, but only when he checked his stomach he confirmed his doubt.

On his abs there was another dark-purple spot.

"...I need to attack as soon as possible" he said as his vision progressively became dizzy.