Chapter 1

Magenta eyes

"Mom, get up" you said, even though it sounded more like pleading to you.

Your old mother was laying down on her bed, refusing to stand up and eat.

"Mom, please, you need to eat" you asked again, feeling helpless.

"...leave me alone" you mother said.

"Mom, how many times do I have to tell you? We're not on Earth anymore" you said as you walked away from the bed, reached the window and pulled the curtain away, showing the sun hitting Omega Centauri.

"I still can't believe it"

"Mom, do you seriously think that I enjoy staying here, in this planet when our real home has shattered into a trillion pieces?! Of course not, but I try to live my life as best as I can"

Your mother groaned and she got up, sitting on the bed.

You thanked whoever was listening to your complaining, and you took a few steps in and helped your mother standing up. At least she accepted to get off her bed.

A bed in which she slept alone for too much time.

You never knew your father. You never knew who he was, you just knew that he died when you were younger. From that moment, it was prohibited to talk about him. Or at least, you prohibited yourself from doing so. You didn't want to hear a no from your mother when asking about your father.

Hence, you inherited your mother's surname. L/N. Your name was Y/N L/N.

It was cool nevertheless.

You opened the door with your mother's arm embracing your shoulders, and you reached the kitchen, where there were many fruits: at least that was the same as on the Earth.

"C'mon momsy, sit down and I'll prepare you something to eat"

Your mother did as you told, and sat down peacefully on her wooden chair, as she grabbed the remote from the table and turned on the television.

"...in fact, our governor, Kray Foresight, has established to organise events in order for people to possibly meet their soulmate, for the continuation of the human species"

"Oh god, are they still talking about that?" you asked, annoyed.

Ever since your arrival in Omega Centauri, there was a problem: what if the human species still got extinct even in Omega Centauri? Hence recently, Kray had decided to organise events for people to meet and eventually organise dates.

And the population now increased of 1000.

To even give the impression of a big city and of a prosperous population Kray decided to build little houses for everyone instead of letting the surviving humans live on skyscrapers.

At least both you and your mother hated that kind of discussion.

Until that day.

"Why don't you try and attend one of those?" she proposed, behind you.

You let a cup you were washing fall on the sink, bewildered by your mother's proposal.

"Mom, are you serious? Kray lied to us, there's no way I will attend one of his stupid events to meet people! I will never, never, participate in something related to him"

"But you need a partner for when I will not be here" she said with a sad look.

"Mom, I understand your worry, but really, there's no need. I am better single anyways" you replied, now grabbing the cup you precedently let go and continued washing it.