Chapter 4 - Delilah

From: Andrewbarber@denverda.org
To: Delilahharrington@hotmail.co.uk

Subject: This is me keeping my promise

So this is the first email, hope to god I put your address in right because I'm gonna have a lot of explaining to do if it isn't you.

Anyway, I made it back in one piece, by the time you get this you're probably still sunning it up. Just try and enjoy the last couple of days - I think we've both learnt that life's too short to not take advantage of what we're given.

Hope the jet lag won't affect you too much once you're finally home, and the picture I've attached will cheer you up a little. Yes I'm actually sending a meme - my son educated me about them before he left so this is a first for me.

Speak soon and have a safe flight

Andy.

**

I roar with laughter as I open the email and see the picture that Andy has sent through. No doubt that I'm gonna resemble the guy in the picture once I'm home. I have to applaud Andy for already cheering me up.

One more day, just one more and then I can finally say that I've honoured Will's 'final wish'.

I sit back on my sun lounger and press the 'reply' button.

Andy,

Don't worry, you got the right email 😉, and the picture really did cheer me up. Right now I'm lounging by the pool attempting to read my book and not wish the day away.

You're right in saying that life is too short though. I suppose I should be grateful for actually getting to Mexico in the first place - guess I owed it to my husband in some ways. I of all people know that I should perhaps lighten up and start living again.

Pretty hard to when you can't stop thinking about what could have been though - and here I go again rambling. You don't need that.

Anyway, glad to see you got back ok - to be honest I needed this email today. Anything that can help me make it through, just like I hope I can help in the same way with you.

Thought you should know that Tequila guy was back on the karaoke tonight, this time singing 'Man I Feel Like A Woman'. Needless to say that it was so bad that it was good.

If you don't hear from me after the next email it means that I've succumbed to jet lag, and will probably end up looking like the meme you sent - including the hairstyle!

Keep holding on. I can't wait to return to chilly nights and winter rain.

Deli.

I press 'send' and the email disappears from my screen. Perhaps I rambled too much, but at the same time I really did need to inform him about Tequila man. These emails can contain anything after all. It was what we agreed. I'm just happy that he actually got in touch, other than Abi I don't really have many friends - most of the friendship circle that I was in was made up of Will's friends and their partners. I never really connected with any of them, they were all wealthy and highly educated just like he was.

Needless to say that after he died I haven't really heard from any of them. They came to the funeral and that was it.

Suddenly I didn't matter to them anymore, Will was gone and that was it - no one bothered to check to see whether I was ok in the months after. Only Abi, and my parents of course.

I put my phone down and try to return to my book, pushing thoughts of Will back into memory. I know for a fact that he'd have probably been up there with Tequila man last night, all in the name of entertainment. He'd also have been trying to talk me into participating in some extreme water sports.

Where Will had no chill and was always on the go, Andy seems laid back in comparison. He must work out too - but in the way a normal person would. I did notice the biceps, I won't lie.

I feel for him, losing his son and at such a young age is tragic enough, let alone it being at the hands of your wife.

I just hope that he's ok. I know what it's like to distance yourself from others. It's a shame that we had to meet on his last night. Perhaps then we'd have actually had someone to help make the holiday a little more bearable. Abi's always telling me that I need to go out and socialise more. Easy for her to say, she and her fiance are like social butterflies - drinks with friends here and a weekend away there. I know she means well though and I have to admit that I've missed her while being away.

Perhaps I should take a leaf out of Will's book and start living life to the full - minus the extreme sports and daredevil activities. I've started my year out making a new acquaintance, which is a big thing for me, so the possibilities of just what else I can achieve are endless.