Chapter 11 - Delilah

"So, erm, this happened!" Abi holds up her hand, engagement ring sparkling on her finger. She may give me stick for moving on but she does deserve this. She's been with Ethan for at least six years now and finally he's putting a ring on it.

Six years.

Would Will and I have lasted that long?

I give a little squeal and hug her. "It's about time!"

"I know!" She gushes, "I want you to be my bridesmaid...will you?"

"Abs, I'll do your damn flowers" I laugh, "see, told you it would happen when the time was right". I've been telling her this every since they got hit the three year mark and he hadn't coughed up the goods like she had hoped.

She begins to launch into the dress she'd like and how her mum is freaking out. I remember being the same, looking through endless amounts of magazines, wondering whether a fishtail would make my ass look big (and yes it did - even Will's mother pointed that out while dress shopping), or would a strapless make my boobs bigger (it did not).

"So we have our eye on one venue". She sucks her teeth and I frown.

"What one?"

"We kinda wanna get married where you and Will did, but honestly if it brings back too many memories for you then we can always look elsewhere".

I smile weakly. It's bittersweet and I know I'll need to be shitfaced by the end of the night. No amount of wine could help me though. "It's fine, it's not just my venue". I state, "people get married there every day".

"I'm just worried it'll upset you".

I shake my head. "I've been there, done that, your turn now" and throw her a grin.

"We have a potential for Christmas"

"Wait...this Christmas!" I look at her.

She looks pained, "too early?"

"We've had brides who've done it in less time, I just thought you'd be looking at next year".

"It just seems so magical". She now gushes. "And I've waited like centuries for him to finally ask me. I was beginning to get worried". Then she had a lightbulb moment. "Oooooh! I could hook you up with..."

"No". I now state. "If I'm allowed to bring a plus one then I wanna decide. Not be set up with Ethan's cousins brother's nephew or whatever the fuck you're planning".

She blinks and I know that was exactly what she was planning. "Ok, fine..."

I open my emails and pretend I'm answering an enquiry about a wedding date, quickly emailing Andy an SOS.

So it seems like everyone around me is getting married. Now it's my best friend. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy for her, but at the same time I know that it's going to be hell on earth. It's this Christmas and I need a plus one so here's the job vacancy.

Job Title: Plus One

Duties: 1) Saying yes so as I can avoid being shoved on the kids or singles table
2) Ensuring I get drunk, but not drunk enough for me to make an embarrassment of myself
3) Potentially having to carry me back to my hotel room because I ended up telling you not to follow duty number 2 properly, which resulted in me getting shit faced to the point where I don't even know my own name.
4) Free accommodation at Chez Deli - may include burnt continental breakfast

I know it's a big ask and I promise I'll even pay air fare if you can help me out of this one. Otherwise I'm bound to be set up when I really want to avoid that fate.

Deli.

Abi now watches me as I look up with suspicion on her face. "You're glued to that thing lately".

"Just had a lot of enquiries that's all" I lie.

"So how come no new ones are penciled in the books?" She still is suspicious and looks through our diary.

I shrug. "You know what brides are like, sometimes the price is too high or we're booked for that day..."

"Deli" Abi now eyes me. "What's going on?"

I sigh. "I swear to god if you so much as squeal about this to my mum then I'll be doing your funeral flowers instead of a bridal bouquet".

"Oh my god, is it a guy you're talking to? Is that why you don't want me to set you up!" She all but yells and I groan, slumping over the table and resting my forehead on the top of it. "Oh shit it actually is! What's his naaaaaame? Did you meet on Tinder?"

"No we didn't meet on fucking Tinder". I say and roll my eyes, "I deleted that profile you made me as soon as you told me".

"So come on then, I want the deets".

I pause and contemplate telling her, but I know I have to. "He's just a friend. That's all, nothing romantic or whatever, but he's the widower that I met in Mexico".

"Waaaaaait! That guy? I didn't think you got his number?"

"I didn't...I got his email instead. We kinda made a pact to send one a day so as we could help one another get through all the shit and stuff".

She nods. "Ok, so where's he from, and tell me his damn name! I'm gonna Facebook stalk him".

"He doesn't have social media". I smirk, "He's called Andy, he's older than me but obviously not like mega old, he lives in Colorado".

"A dishy American eh? Got a picture?"

I go to Whatsapp and pull up Andy's picture. It's with a boy who is obviously his son.

"Woah, he's gorgeous - got a kid too

"Woah, he's gorgeous - got a kid too..." She now sees me shake my head and give her a look that tells her all she needs to know. "Oh...oh shit..."

"Yeah". I say softly. "He's been through hell".

Abi nods, "Sounds like it. Surprised he's even still got what it takes to carry on".

I agree. "So do I - it's three years this year, but it's not something you move on from that easily".

"Do you know what happened?"

"Yeah, but it's not for me to tell". I say to her.

She now shakes her head. "No, no that's fair enough. Poor guy - so, what does he do"

I think for a moment. "He's an assistant district attorney"

"That made no fucking sense to me whatsoever"

"Basically a crown prosecutor over here"

"Ok woah...niiiiiiice - so...is he going to be your plus one to the wedding?" Abi now waggles her eyebrows suggestively.

I shrug, not knowing whether he'll agree. It's a big ask after all. "Guess we're just gonna have to wait and see".