c h a p t e r s e v e n t e e n

chapter seventeen: FASHION SHOW

"I have nothing to wear to your sister's baby shower," I said as we were eating breakfast the next morning

Nate spared me a single glance. The corners of his lips raised slightly.

"I figured. Jason will take you shopping afterward if you're up for it."

"Who's Jason?" I asked.

"My partner. And my friend." His answer was short and precise.

I raised an eyebrow.

"So now you not only have a sister I've never heard about, but you also have friends?"

Nate didn't answer.

"Anyways, why can't you take me shopping yourself?" I asked again.

"I'm busy," was all he said.

I wanted to ask if he was too busy for his own Omega and remind him that I was here in the first place because that's what he wanted, but I managed to swallow that question.

"What if I try to run away?"

He looked me dead in the eye.

"You won't."

___

Jason turned out to be quite cool. He didn't ask me annoying questions, didn't stare at my outfit weirdly, didn't give me the side-eye, and listened to what I said attentively, even if I talked just to see his reaction. He reminded me of the typical Alpha, with his confident stance, black outfit, and a gun at his side. I didn't know if he'd report back my behavior to Nate, but I tried out his patience.

We went shopping for clothes, shoes, and jewelry here and there; sometimes I found and tried on a zillion things, sometimes even tried everything in the shop and didn't buy anything, and sometimes I bought a few things, but Jason never once said anything. He didn't tell me to hurry up, to make up my mind, or to skip out on that one boutique I wanted to check out. He didn't complain when he had to carry my bags or wait near the changing room while I tried on clothes.

Somewhere amid our day out, while we were driving in the car, I asked:

"So, how do you and Nate know each other?"

He thought for a few moments, staring at the road ahead, then answered:

"We were friends since childhood. Our families worked together."

"Oh, I see. Mafia connections."

Jason snarled.

"Literally everyone in this town is somehow connected to the mafia. Even the Howard family."

I sighed, "Yeah, I know. I mean, I always knew. Just now I'm more aware of it, I guess. By the way, how long do you work together?"

There was a moment of silence again.